PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline mixed with diesel--engine damage??

Rob4
06-03-2006, 12:49
Can any body tell me what engine damage if any will happen if somebody puts gasoline in the diesel tank? How much gasoline would it take to damage the engine and how is the engine damaged? The truck was driven about 12 miles. Thanks.

DmaxMaverick
06-03-2006, 13:02
Have a look at This Thread (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=23142). Same thing applies. It depends on the concentration. If it's still running, you don't have much in there. If it's over 25%, I suggest draining the tank and refilling with #2. If less than 25%, add some lubrication, like 2 cycle oil. You can dilute it with more #2 if there's room in the tank. Less than 25% won't hurt anything, if the lube level is high enough. 12 miles didn't hurt anything if it's still running somewhat normal.

ronniejoe
06-03-2006, 13:36
DmaxMaverick has given good advice. I know some folks who mix gasoline in with their Diesel up to 3% to "liven it up" (in their words) a little.

ZZ
06-03-2006, 17:37
I had a a friend who used to put in one gallon of gas to a tank in the winter in a 5.7L Diesel to winterize the fuel. He never had any problems that I recall.

moondoggie
06-05-2006, 09:49
Good Day!

A friend used to drive early-80's VW diesels. All the owners manuals used to suggest adding up to 10% gasoline to winterize #2, if #1 was unavailable. No telling if this is OK across the board or not.

Blessings!