PDA

View Full Version : Starter Stuck?

glendonboy
06-03-2006, 20:48
My 2005 DMAX would start after a short trip and sitting for 30 minutes. You could here a click but that was it. I called Road Side Service and they towed it in. After going over it they said the starter was stuck and after manually turning the engine, it started right up. This truck only has 10K on it. They said the battery, connections, and voltage were OK. Seems to me if the starter "stuck" that the armature or brushes are bad. I think GM should give me a new starter. It might decide to stick when I really need it. The dealer has a reputation as having qan outstanding service dept. You guys think I have the right mindset on this matter?

More Power
06-04-2006, 13:45
First, make sure the two bolts securing the starter to the engine are tight.

If that wasn't the problem, I'd pull the starter and look for a solenoid activation problem - like rough engagement shaft, lack of lubrication, loose solenoid connections, etc....

Is the click you're hearing sound like it's coming from the starter solenoid or the starter relay inside the underhood electrical center?

Jim

glendonboy
06-04-2006, 18:19
First, make sure the two bolts securing the starter to the engine are tight.

If that wasn't the problem, I'd pull the starter and look for a solenoid activation problem - like rough engagement shaft, lack of lubrication, loose solenoid connections, etc....

Is the click you're hearing sound like it's coming from the starter solenoid or the starter relay inside the underhood electrical center?

Jim

Sounded like it was coming from the starter. The dealer said they checked the connections. I really wasn't going to work on it myself, since it is under warrenty.

More Power
06-07-2006, 14:18
Should be easy enough to fix. Could be a defective starter solenoid or some part of the engagement mechanism. If this was out of warranty, I'd recommend pulling the starter to identify the problem - probably as easy fix. :)

Jim