PDA

View Full Version : new Pinnacle exhaust installed

signgrafix
06-05-2006, 16:24
Just got the new Pinnacle 4 inch aluminized exhaust installed from the turbo back. Sound really good. I have not checked the mileage yet but I can tell a big difference in the power. I held the cat up to the sun to see if any light was comming through. Nothing!! I think that puppy was stopped up.
I am not the one who likes loud exhaust, and I would not consider it loud at all. I can drive down the road with both windows open only hear a slight rumble.
The guy who put it on said the hangers supplied where nearly useless so keep that in mind if you are looking to purchase. Other than than that, good product and great price. I little slow on shipping to so don't be in a big hurry.

john8662
06-05-2006, 17:00
The guy who put it on said the hangers supplied where nearly useless so keep that in mind if you are looking to purchase.

Exactly!

This system is a good system (have it on my burb). I tried installing myself in the garage and got really disgusted with the system because none of the hangers worked.

I ended up just driving with only the downpipe installed, and had an local exhaust shop install the rest, they made their own hangers and welded the system and didn't use the clamps. Worth every penny for them to do it, woulda saved me from saying all them angry sailer words to do that way from the beginning!

J

signgrafix
06-05-2006, 17:13
Exactly!

This system is a good system (have it on my burb). I tried installing myself in the garage and got really disgusted with the system because none of the hangers worked.

I ended up just driving with only the downpipe installed, and had an local exhaust shop install the rest, they made their own hangers and welded the system and didn't use the clamps. Worth every penny for them to do it, woulda saved me from saying all them angry sailer words to do that way from the beginning!

J

Yep, the only thing I know about exhaust is, pay somebody else to do it!

GMC Hauler
06-05-2006, 17:27
I am running the same exhaust. I agree with all your comments.

However, I was able to use all the hangers. But.... They were not all straight up and down. I did turn sections slightly different, and was able to mount it without any rubbing or removing any hangers. Just took some patience and thought.

But, they're instructions and hanger mounts could use some work....

gvig
06-05-2006, 19:50
I too have the same exhaust, only no cat and no muffler. it sound so sweet running empty. Just try pulling a really heavy load, the sweet rumble becomes an opressive roar. I love the power it gave me but I am considering buying the muffler and adding it.

George

john8662
06-05-2006, 19:52

By instructions you mean those sloppy hand drawn figures showing what pipe goes where (like they helped anyways).

I got a good hard laugh at the professionalism of those destructions.

love the power it gave me but I am considering buying the muffler and adding it.

At least don't do what I did on mine. I had the louvers turned backwards for more flow through the muffler. Go ahead and have them turned the right way, it ain't gonna restrict anything, but a little noise. Mine's welded, so I'm kinda screwed, oh well, it used to get attention!

signgrafix
06-05-2006, 20:50
I am running the same exhaust. I agree with all your comments.

However, I was able to use all the hangers. But.... They were not all straight up and down. I did turn sections slightly different, and was able to mount it without any rubbing or removing any hangers. Just took some patience and thought.

Yea, since I did not physically put in on myself I can only go by what the guy said. That way if anybody else get the system thay can at least be prepared for hanger problems.

signgrafix
06-05-2006, 21:24
I noticed something else. It turns over a lot quicker when starting too!

atom_c
06-05-2006, 21:54
I put on the 4 inch Pinnacle as well. I took off the whole old system and did my best to put in the new, but the hangers were crap and didn't allow me to tweak things in the right direction for proper alignment. I even had to cut about 8 inches off to fit for length. Why did they bother to ask me what rig I had if they weren't going to cut it to the correct length?

I did get enough installed to drive to a good muffler shop. About $65 later I was set. The guy at the shop says he sees it all the time--crap hangers on lower end aftermarket exhaust.

It sounds good but the volume really cranks up over about 2300 rpm. EGTs are down by 150 degrees on average it seems. Boost comes up higher and more quickly. The PCM has a hard time pulling the boost back down to my stock ten psi!

It seems like they could take about an hour to scratch out some better instructions and diagrams. Maybe a few more hours to actually get the hangers right.

I would have mixed feelings about buying their exhaust again.

Adam

DA BIG ONE
06-06-2006, 01:40
Just got the new Pinnacle 4 inch aluminized exhaust installed from the turbo back..

Is the downpipe 4", or?

GMC Hauler
06-06-2006, 02:37
I really must have gotten lucky with the hangers seeing the problems you guys are seeing.

93_Burrito
06-06-2006, 06:51
I had the 4" Pinnacle kit on my '99 K2500, and I thought the hangers were great. But many times I thought it was way too loud inside the cab. Practically had to yell to the person next to me in order to converse. Air intake and exhaust kit are my next Tahoe mods. Going with an aFe Stage II to replace the factory '95 box, leaning towards kennedy's exhaust kit... will see.

moondoggie
06-06-2006, 08:42
Good Day!

To those contemplating this system: I've heard it's a bad idea to weld aluminized exhaust - where the weld is, the aluminized coating goes away & the pipe will rust at that location just like non-aluminized. Please, experts, let us know if this is true or not.

If this is indeed so, this should present no significant problems - simply use hangers that clamp around the OD of the pipe, & band-type clamps (I think JK may sell these).

My 82 came with a shadetree engineered exhaust. There was once piece of aluminized; the rest was standard pipe. When that system was eventually replaced, the aluminized pipe still looked like new.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson

GMC Hauler
06-06-2006, 12:28
Good Day!

To those contemplating this system: I've heard it's a bad idea to weld aluminized exhaust - where the weld is, the aluminized coating goes away & the pipe will rust at that location just like non-aluminized. Please, experts, let us know if this is true or not.
Brian Johnson
You are right.

I was going to weld it myself, but seeing the quality of the clamps, I didn't bother.

I had the 4" Pinnacle kit on my '99 K2500, and I thought the hangers were great. But many times I thought it was way too loud inside the cab. Practically had to yell to the person next to me in order to converse. Air intake and exhaust kit are my next Tahoe mods. Going with an aFe Stage II to replace the factory '95 box, leaning towards kennedy's exhaust kit... will see.
Which way you you have the muffler installed?

I think, but have not taken a poll to verify, that if you have a mechanical wastegate controller, the syswtem will be quieter, because the turbo is always getting 100% of all gas flow until the spring gives and lets hot exhaust gas bypass, unlike the electronic which has the wastegate more open at light crusing.

How many of you guys that complain of the loud exhaust are running the electronic systens??

I have the louvers of the muffler facing the turbo, and recently drove across country pulling my travel trailer. The loudest thing was the turbo whine, and I have a stock airbox (or maybe that is why I am going back for another hearing test tomorrow).

signgrafix
06-06-2006, 12:45
Is the downpipe 4", or?

Nope, looks to be about 3 inches on the down pipe.

signgrafix
06-06-2006, 12:50
[QUOTE=GMC Hauler]
How many of you guys that complain of the loud exhaust are running the electronic systens??

I don't understand the guy having a problem with noise on this system. I can drive down the road with the windows down and barely hear the exhaust.

atom_c
06-06-2006, 16:53
I have the electronic (stock) boost control. It is not overly loud cruising at highway speeds. I would just say that when I put my foot into it and get over 2300 rpm or so it is significantly louder than stock. Music to some people's ears and annoying droan to others. I think I will be fine with the volume, although it could get annoying towing on a family trip with lots of hills. We shall see...

Adam

gvig
06-06-2006, 18:28
I am running a manual control on the wastegate. The sound is sweet to my ears when running without a load. Pulling the 5er at about 9K pounds it is very loud as I accelerate away from a stop. Pulling up a hill, it becomes annoyingly loud. I pulled uphill through Prescott, Arizona and was surprised I made it out of town without being arrrested. It was so loud I was embarassed, and that takes a lot.

atom_c
06-06-2006, 20:00
Gvig, your signature says "unmuffled"? That could get loud!!

gvig
06-07-2006, 03:29
Yeah, unmuffled and no cat. Should have ordered the muffler, and now I probably will. Just too much noise under load. Though with the gears installed and the timing corrrected it is quieter, just not enough.

16gaSxS
06-07-2006, 08:10
I interesting the hanger problems you guys are having withthe 4 inch system. Way back in the EARLY days of the page I bought the 3 inch system and had it installed buy a local exhaust shop. They had no problem with either clamp or hangers on it. The toughest part they had was get teh down pipe off and out and the new down pipe on. Their QC muct have gone down since then????

Patrick m.
06-07-2006, 15:42
the noise level differences may be more than just personal definition.
My Kennedy exhaust was very quiet with the GM-4 turbo.
With the larger turbos came louder exhaust
(i got the 4 inch kit)