PDA

View Full Version : Katrina Truck

wurk_truk
06-05-2006, 21:59
I am looking at a Kodiak w/salvage title from katrina. It has 12k miles. It has a dmax and a alli tranny. This is an 04 kodiak 4500.

Looks like truck DID see some water. There is a twin next to this truck on the lot that definately saw water, and I can compare them. One Im looking at did NOT get any water in the cab. Worst damage is starter shorted and was replaced. Hillbillies didnt replace starter wiring and that is a must do. I have pulled all under hood electrical connectors and the look good as new.

Looks like truck sat on passenger side in water a tad bit over mid axle. Drivers side calipers look good. Pass side are rusty. This truck is 30k and with the bed that is 15k off of similar truck with 45k miles ($45k)

I am thinking hard on this and drove 800 miles to insspect truck. Two thing... there are tranny fluid drops at inspect hole in bell housing... maybe I can have dealer look at this. Truck sounds, runs and operates great.

I want to put $2500 in repairs on this, if I buy it. Any suggestions from you guys? I have to do the deal later today or it will maybe be e-bayed from me.

HELP!

LanduytG
06-06-2006, 02:14
If it runs and sounds good I would say go for it. But then it would depend on what they want for it. With a salvage title it would have to be cheap.

Greg

trbankii
06-06-2006, 05:15
Salvage title is an issue if you want to resell it and sometimes can be an issue with insurance depending on your carrier and agent. But I think that deals can be had if you know what you are looking at and want it for your own use rather than to "flip it" as they say on TV.

I'd flush all fluids for engine, trans, diff(s). Grease everything up, clean everything out, and go over all electrical connections that saw water.

Kennedy
06-06-2006, 06:32
I looked into this and there are some real concerns with "bugs" and disease from the backed up sewers etc. I looked elsewhere...

David Proske
06-06-2006, 14:25
Are you saying they want $30,000 for this truck?

As others have said, with it having a salvage title you may have problems selling it if problems crop up.

There is a reason it is for sale.

There is NO way I would buy a expensive truck like this that sat in salt water. You WILL have rust problems. Like john said, this water had all kinds of nasty stuff in it.

wurk_truk
06-07-2006, 16:58
I looked into this and there are some real concerns with "bugs" and disease from the backed up sewers etc. I looked elsewhere...

Well, I have to admit I am dumber than a rock. I did a finger lick test two places on this truck for salt. Wow, how stupid, now I have to see what's up with that. Anyway, I took apart over half of the electrical connections, all ecm connections were new! A body connection under drivers door didn't look bad, Ohio after 5 years, but some toilet bowl cleaner and grease, its good as new.

No water entered cab. The flare/glove boxes under doors were never hit. It looks like truck was at slight angle and passenger tires were under to right above calipers, sand in that side bottom of one rear compartment.

Drivers side looks like 12k miles.

Im going to do two new calipers, rotors, bearings, pads all around, repaint and seal any corroded bolt heads I see and go with it.

Im not financially the best at the moment, and this is a 30ft bucket truck from SW Bell. Self insured companies off loaded their equipt right away and this truck had fluids,etc looked after. New starter and batteries, the boom and bed are pristine and hardly any hours.

Im going to take myself and an employee and completely top to bottom clean, paint and reseal and hope for the best. Runs great, all idiot lights work, ABS works, etc. If I have to do a tranny or rear dif, I would be still ahead (god please not in next year!)

Guy in Wisconsin im getting it from said best deals went out of self insured like bell, RSC, govt agencies, because trucks didnt sit in impound lots awaiting insurance adjusters. This guy has the exact twin with less miles, but water entered cab to around 4" above floor board. Under vehicle looks BAD! Ohio car from 1972 that is 10 years old.

I will keep you posted on how this all goes. Salvage title means no big deal to me, I'm keeping it and financing through a friend.

wurk_truk
06-07-2006, 17:07
Oh,.... used this truck would be low $50's and new it's $64k. So... I couldnt swing that on my best day. I could do an02 Ford 7.3 or this. When I quit my job and became self-employed 3 years ago, it was a gamble. It still is, this just being the latest gamble. Plus, it is a 179 deduction. I paid 26.5k w/1k shipping in pre-tax dollars. That is around 20k after tax. Bed and boom is worth 15.

Stlheadake
06-07-2006, 20:02
Truk, who knows, you'll probably be fine. You are at least going into it with the right ideas and awareness. If you KNOW what to look for, and can head it off, you'll be fine. Please, please, let us know how it turns out. Also, Good luck with your work endeavor.