PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil oil

WILLYD-MAX
06-06-2006, 08:03
I have been using Mobile full syn. 5/40 and am considering switching to amsoil due to having a hard time finding Mobile. Those of you who use amsoil, what are your service intervalls? I tow quite a bit and I do analisys every so often and with a baldwin oil filter and filter mag I have been changing oil around 7k. According to my analisys the tbn is about shot at that point. This is on my 05 our 02 seems to do a little better I don't know if its because it has more miles or what. Also would the 15/40 amsoil start as easy in cold temps as the 5/40 mobil I have been using? I would like to buy a barrel of oil at a time as I service 3 duramaxes.Also would I have to switch to amsoil oil filters? Any suggestions?

LanduytG
06-06-2006, 09:43
I'm surprised the TBN is going low at 7K with Delvac. It should be good for a longer period of time than that. How low did it get? Also I have found that different labs use different methods which can make TBN seem low. If that is the case it can be around 8-9 but will hold there for sometime.

If using the Amsoil 15W-40 with their new EaO filters you should be able to go 15K without any trouble at all and further if you do oil analysis. But IMHO oil analysis on this small of a system is not all that cost effective. But I do have many that do it and have over 60K on the oil and these guys tow trailers out of northern IND all the time. I use the 15W-40 in my 04.5 and it starts just fine and oil pressure comes up just as fast as it normally does. If you plan to keep the truck for a long time a by-pass system might be in order. Then oil analysis is cost effective.

Greg

WILLYD-MAX
06-07-2006, 10:51
Thanks Landuytg. I will try and find my analisys and post it. How much would a 55 gal drum of amsoil 15/40 cost approx.? I have been using baldwin oil filters. Are the amsoil comparable in cost? I don't have internet at home so sometimes it takes me a couple of days to reply.

LanduytG
06-07-2006, 13:32
Filters for the Dmax are $13 each but they are a much better filter. The are 98.7% eff at 15 micron. No other filter will come close to that. Plus they will last you at least 15K miles so the price might be more but the cost over all will be way less. A drum of 15W-40 is $778 plus $114.66 shipping but that should be a little less than that. That would give you a delivered cost of $16.20 a gallon.

Greg

WILLYD-MAX
06-07-2006, 15:19
Landuytg.. Thanks for the info .That sounds very reasonable for both oil and filters. I am going to do some thinking about this and I will probably contact you about some oil. Should I consider becoming a amsoil dealer? I don't know much about it just wondering if I buy quite a bit if it would be worth my time and money or not.

DFDureiko
06-08-2006, 08:02
I am planning on swtiching over to AMSOIL with AMSOIL filter in October.
I am planning on twice a year oil filter change, driving under 10,000 miles per year towing 80percent of the time.
I know people like the bypass filters and getting 10's of thousand of miles out of the oil, but a twice a year oil change does not seem that pricey to me to guarantee longevity.
Dan