PDA

View Full Version : Big fuel leak by filter!!

96turboSuburban
12-27-2005, 10:46
I have a substantial leak coming from near/around the fuel filter. I had the filter replaced about 10k ago. How do I open/remove the fuel filter and with what tool??
Thanks!
Todd

Hubert
12-27-2005, 13:24
Unscrew the black ring nut on top of the filter. What you see is the top of the filter which is built into the element. You pull up the plastic loop boot strap thingys to get filter out. The gasket is somewhat easy to mess up and may be leaking. A new one will be on the next filter. More than a few have had the fuel line from the manager to the IP to leak and may need to be replaced.

Read a few threads on filter change its a little messy but easy. There are some better practices than the owners manual instructions ie drain the manager before changing and cleaning out the bowl really well before reinstall.

chickenhunterbob
12-27-2005, 18:34
After 10,000 miles I doubt the filter change had anything to do with a leak, whatsoever.

You have to narrow down the precice location of the errant fuel, a bit more.

There is the possibility of a leak at the black ring that secures the filter which is not so likely, or any one of the three lines (1 in from lift pump) and 2 out, to IP and fuel drain valve on the coolant crossover.

If you suspect the area of the filter, power wash the engine, in that area particularly, and it should then be obvious where the leak is coming from.

Replace hoses as necessary.

96turboSuburban
12-28-2005, 04:29
Thanks for the replies.
I do think the leak is coming from below the black ring on top but it is really tight and was wondering if there is a convenient tool that is used to remove it??
I'll then get it open and go through the filter replacement procedure. Where is the link for the filter replacement??
Thanks!
I'll post results.
Todd

jspringator
12-28-2005, 05:49
I have used a smooth oil filter wrench when it was on too tight.

chickenhunterbob
12-28-2005, 05:50
If you have the black owners manual book that came with the truck when new in the glove box, it contains instructions on how to replace the fuel filter. These are good instructions.

A small oil filter type of wrench could be used if the black ring nut is real tight.

Randee of the Redwoods
12-28-2005, 15:44
I just fixed a massive fuel leak on my 94 as well. If the top retainer ring is tight, then I doubt the leak is coming from there as the filter is keyed into the housing and the top ring will not seat if the filter is not keyed properly. You can check the air bleed screw on top of the filter. It's the little black plastic thing with what looks like a breather tube on top. If you unscrew it(be careful), you let air into the filter housing so you can drain it. Tighten it(carefully: lefty loosey, righty tighty) to make sure it's closed.
My leak turned out to be a black retainer ring at the BOTTOM of the housing. It holds the fuel heater in place. I had to remove the entire housing, beat my head against a wall, then take a pair of channel locks to it, but it's leak free now. I also relocated the housing for easier access. To know if it might be the lower retainer ring: crawl up onto the motor and look to see if there is any fuel laying on the back of the engine block. If you look underneath, it will be dripping down the tranny/block seam.
The feed and return fuel lines are back there, too, but as bad off as mine were, they weren't leaking at all. Also check the little brass valve looking thingy bolted to the thermostat neck(that's there mine was). That's the lower drain for the filter housing. Make sure it's shut.
If you want the "special" tools, what you are looking for is called a spanner nut wrench. It'll be for what ever size the top retainer ring is. I just used a large pair of channel locks that would allow me to grab the retainer ring securely.

96turboSuburban
01-04-2006, 17:07
Leak fixed!!!
Turns out it was the top rubber gasket at the top thank God!! Took a while for the extra diesel to drip down after I fixed the leak and after I cleaned things up I knew I had it solved. Also turns out I had a leak in the power steering/hydroboost high pressure line and had to replace that too $70 for the part..
Thanks guys so much for the help!!
Todd