PDA

View Full Version : White smoke on start up only

Darwin6.5
06-06-2006, 15:04
Guy's I have a 98 Sub with a 6.5.

I have been having a bit of a hard time starting my sub.

It has been cold here 17 degrees celcius (Australia)

I did a water crossing the other week when out camping, there didn't seem to be any problems as I took it nice and easy however when I got home the filter was a bit damp (foam after market Uni Filter) Anyway when I went to start it the other day it was really hard to start and was blowing thick white smoke. The thing fired and it cleared out. Cleaned the filter, no problems for a week. Did a 140km trip the other day, started fine the next day but the next morning had the same problem. When started it clears. We are on an island and the car does a lot of short runs when used.

The vehicle is not running hot, never has really, doesn't work really hard but is driven fairly fast 120km/ph max.

Is it possible there is water in the fuel? I have checked the oil and there seems to be no water contamination.

Any help would be great.

Cheers John

redbird2
06-06-2006, 16:51
I don't think the water crossing had any thing to do with it unless you where under several meters of water ,

Check you glow plugs most likely that is where your problems lie, or glow plug controller, does your wait to start light come on, if yes then you need to check each glow plug.

If you are not sure how to check them here is a fast way to check them if you already know sorry I bored you. take a test light hook the end you normal connect to the ground and connect it to the POSITIVE side of the battery or pos side of glow plug controller, the take the probe end and touch the connector on the glow plug if the light comes on glow pluge is ok keep doing this till you have checked them all I would not be suprised if at least 4 and most likely all 8 will be bad

Darwin6.5
06-06-2006, 18:33
Redbird thanks for your reply. I will check this out this afternoon. I have been stressing out that I will have to take the head off. I must say the engine hasn't been firing straight up so the glow plugs are worth looking at. Why the white smoke though, I thought this only came from water / moisture? PLease excuse my ignorance.

Thanks again.

John.

diesel65
06-06-2006, 18:42
Redbird gave you the correct advice to start, But you need to unplug each glow plug before you test.

Diesel fuel when unburnt comes out like you have a bad head gasket.

Darwin6.5
06-08-2006, 18:44
Thanks guy's, sure enough, 8 out of 8 were U/S I have ordered some more. I suppose they may have been gone for quite a while. The weather is mostly warm where I am so I suppose I didn't notice. It has been getting harder to start so this is probably why.

Thanks again for your help, I never would have thought that it was the glow plugs.

Cheers

John

redbird2
06-09-2006, 04:31
glad to hear the good news that a lot cheaper that tearing engine apart and faster