PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Problems

John Garvey
11-25-2003, 07:02
Having some problems with my 94 5spd manual transmission and have been told that they have been discontinued. Has anybody heard this and does anybody know where a person can buy a new or rebuilt tranny. Truck is a k3500 1994 1 ton td dually 4X4.

Don't have the tranny model number at the moment.

I am presently in the Tucson area and am planning on heading into Mexico. I would like to locate a replacement source for back-up in case mine goes. Had the transfer case seal go and lost most of my tranny fluid. Fixed-up but a little to growly now for comfort.

John Garvey
94 k3500 td 5spd (sic) standard 4x4

Uncle Wally
11-25-2003, 15:41
John,

You should have a NV4500 trans. There are a ton of em floating around in the wrecking yards. They are pretty pricey though. Both Dodge and GM used this trans. The Dodge version has slightly different gearing than the GM version. As to whether they still make em, I believe Dodge still offers the 5 speed in the non-diesel truck. Everyone is moving to it's bigger brother (NV5600 - 6spd manual).

If you are a fairly competant mechanic, you should be able to easily rebuild one of these. I've done several manuals over the years and found them to be easy (unlike the auto's). Commonly replaced items can be purchased in a master rebuild kit. They usually included gaskets, seals, bushings and synchros. Some even include bearings. You can find some pretty inexpensive rebuild kits online. There are even a few places that have used parts too. I picked up a reverse gear for an M-21 that was near new from a place in Tx a few years ago. Wish I could remember the name of the place!

At any rate, you should be able to get it rebuilt and or rebuild it yerself if ya want.

Waldo

Brandon
11-25-2003, 17:12
John,
PTO sales in Phoenix has them for 1800.00 exh. It takes them two days to get them in. A-1 Transmission has them also for 2000.00 exch. I found that there weree many of them when I had to get one.

cruzer
11-26-2003, 10:41
The 1st 2 yrs of GM's have a different gear ratio
for 1st gear. Think it was 92-93. After that all gear ratios were the same among GM & Dodge. I believe Dodge's has a different output spline than GM's, so they will not cross over to each other. Either way they are good trans and replacement parts are available.

CaseyR
11-26-2003, 20:47
Uncle Wally -
I am thinking about rebuilding my NV4500 next summer when I get my shop built. The thing pops out of 5th gear on long downhills and the synchros are about shot. I have the manuals but haven't look at the tranny section yet. What all will I likely have to replace 5th gear. Do I need any special tools beyond a cheapo 10 ton hydraulic press (I assume at least the seals need to be pressed out) and a set of the usual wrenches? Is there any tricky pretensioning of anything?
Thanks, Casey

Uncle Wally
11-27-2003, 18:52
Casey,

When I did my last muncie, I used a digital camera to take pictures when I was dissassembling the trans. That way I knew exactly what it looked like when it was together. Digital is the easiest. The only other hint I have is to go to the library, talk to mechanics, anyone that has done one before. I have never opened a NV4500, so I wouldn't know the tricks. But manuals aren't all that complicated. The more info you have on how to take it apart, put it together, and make sure clearances are right, the easier it will be. The only other thing I could suggest, is take your time. I know from experience that if you try to rush something, it's probably not gona be right in the end. I've tried a couple automatics and haven't been the most successful at them. I am doing another for our truck now. And I'm taking my time, no rush. Checking everything several times. Taking lots of pics. etc. I have the GM manuals and talked to a GM Mechanic buddy for any updates to the manuals or the trans itself. I can't stress enough, arm yerself with as much knowledge as you can. You shouldn't have a problem doing it.

Waldo