PDA

View Full Version : Newbie please help

adele2408
06-08-2006, 08:45
Hi all
Just found you site and it looks like it could be the site of my dreams, we have owned loads of classic american cars for over 20 years now but they were all V8 gas:o We are at present attempting to restore a 1982 Blazer 6.2 diesel, have never had a diesel before so am lost, problems are:

1.had to change sender on tank as guage did not work but now can't start her have been told need to prime fuel filters problem it we know where they are as have chilton repair and tune book but do not know what they look like:confused:
2. The idiot who had the vehcile before us changed it to manual glow plug is there a way we can chnage it back:confused:

I know these may sound dumb questions but being female and never having a diesel before I am at a total loss, yes i do, do my own work as over here in UK and being in the back of beyond mechanic's look at me and the price is trebled that is if i can get them to work on an american.

Thanks in advance for any help.
regards
adele

john8662
06-08-2006, 11:00
Welcome to TDP Forums!

1. You're right in that the engine doesn't have a good fuel supply because air has been introduced into the system. No problem. The fuel filters are located in two places on an '82 model. There is a primary fuel filter and a secondary fuel filter. The Primary filter filter is the large filter that is located on the left side of the engine bay (facing engine) next to the A/C heater box on the firewall. It looks to be the same size as the oil filter! It would be a good idea to replace this filter since you're at this point. But, to prime this filter, just unscrew it from the base, and fill it full to the brim with clean diesel fuel, re-install.

The next filter is a bit hidden. It's located on the back side of the intake manifold underneat the air cleaner. So remove the air cleaner, then you'll see the filter lines and housing on the back of the intake. You won't have to remove this filter to get it primed, but it would be a good idea to service. So, to remove this jewel, remove both fuel lines (9/16" and 5/8" line wrench), then the two 15mm bolts on the back of the intake that hold the housing. Then pull the filter and then housing out of the hole. Replace filter and re-install, you will fill this filter with fuel as well. Then re-install.

If the engine has been out of fuel for awhile, these two things would help. Let us know if that gets it started (may take a few long cranks to get it going).

The glow system is likely still in tact, but no longer working. The bad news is that the system that this engine (82-84) uses is a bit cranky. The better 85+ system is what you'll want to convert to. Instructions are in the content section for the system diagnosis, and info on making the conversion.

82-84 systems:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/guide12.htm

85-93 systems:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/guide13.htm

Post back, we'll get ya through it!

moondoggie
06-08-2006, 14:43
Good Day!

"The idiot who had the vehcile before us changed it to manual glow plug..." Maybe not an idiot, just a little short on $. :) I ran my 82 (& an 84 Sub not listed below) with a manual controller (momentary switch) for years - I preferred to spend the > $200 for the glow plug controller on other things, like my family. It turns out that for my truck, holding my dash-mounted glow plug switch for the same amount of time as the seat belt light was on was just about right, without overheating the #9 (sorry, forgot the proper terminology) glow plugs. It always started, & I never burned out a glow plug.

I'm not against automation, just was a little short in those days...

I'd try the above-mentioned upgrade, which appears to be more reliable than the 82 part.

Blessings!

adele2408
06-09-2006, 07:44
Hi

Sorry :o if i put my foot in it with the manual glow plugs but just read book and lables on truch and they say do not do this plus did not know that it cost that much to repair, know what it is like to do things on budget that is why i try and do all my own work.

Right followed your instuctions there is something wrong here as my truck has 2 filters on firewall, fuel line to pump, pump to injector unit, the filter was full of fuel (got rather wet!!!!) there is an adjuster on filter it lets air out but so far have wasted about 1/4 gal of fuel but still keep getting air out, I have checked and tightened all hoses.

what do i do now:confused: :confused:

smcghan
06-09-2006, 16:24
ADELE,

Another thought on why you keep getting air in the system. If I understand what you did, was drop the fuel tank to replace the fuel sending unit? Possibly a hose clamp isn't tight. That has the potential to allow air in and not leak fuel out. Just a thought.

It's good to have another member,.

Steven

adele2408
06-10-2006, 04:48
Checked all hoses they are tight got the air out now and got covered in diesel :o now trying to get her to start have found need new battery so will hopefully get that next week as have got two one her one will charge and hold the other is dead so am going to get on with remainder of body work as have quite a bit of welding to do on her,as soon as i get new battery will let you know out come, thanks for all you help on this as would have been lost without your help:D

moondoggie
06-10-2006, 07:19
Good Day!

DON'T TRY THIS WITHOUT 1ST GETTING CONFIRMATION FROM SOMEONE WHO KNOWS IF THIS IS A GOOD IDEA OR NOT!!!!!

I've always wondered that when one suspects an air leak INTO the fuel system causing symptoms like this topic, couldn't you just put a 5 PSI regulator on an air compressor, modify a fuel tank cap with an air hose adapter, & pressurize the fuel tank to 5 PSI & wait for the leak to appear? If 5 PSI is too much, maybe adjust the regulator for 1 or 2 PSI?

If this is a legitimate idea (might work; won't damage anything), it would be particularly useful if the leak was hard to find - simply hook it up & let it go overnight. The leaking fuel's gotta show up eventually...

Blessings!

(signature in previous post)

DmaxMaverick
06-10-2006, 12:12
That's not a bad method, Moondoggie. I do this to prime a new, or dry system. You could do that to find a leak. I've used 10 PSI, and never had any problems, other than a mess. You could modify a fuel cap with a tire valve stem. Someone on here did that for one reason or another, don't remember why, though. There are a couple pic's in the photo album, of the cap with the mod.

john8662
06-10-2006, 12:28
umm, well it's at the top of the forum!

Finding Air In The Fuel System, A Turorial! (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=23040)

DmaxMaverick
06-10-2006, 14:01
Thanks, John.

Guess I missed the forest for the trees!

adele2408
06-10-2006, 14:09
Hi all
saw your advice on finding air in system and read the first one on the top, now i need to say a big thanks to all of you i got her started:D and it is all down to you and your help i had to jump her off my ford f250 but she went, got the welding done so now it paint time:eek: but once that is done which will be next week now as need to buy the stuff first i can start to put her back together :) I have put another topic up i need to know where the temp and oil sensors are on the engine:confused: