PDA

View Full Version : Alternator mod's

Ratau
06-09-2006, 06:17
If one drive on off road trails you don't get to the rev's where the alternator deliver the amps needed the charge the batteries to full capacity. By starting and stopping a lot you take more out the batteries than what you put back and you end up with weak batteries after a few days.

I was reading about a modification to replace the voltage regulator with a unit that pushes up the voltage at low rev's and by doing this the current into the battery also increases.

Are such unites available in the USA or do you have any links for web-pages?

BobND
06-09-2006, 08:54
The newer "CS" series Delco alternators are completely redesigned, and supposedly built to closer tolerances, so they charge more at low speeds.

They came out in about 1988, in the light trucks. I have used them in a few conversions, and they do seem to charge well.

Here is a link to some information on them:

http://www.alternatorparts.com/cs130_sbpage1.htm

You can connect on up in place of your current Delco 10SI, by connecting the wire now connected to the # 1 terminal to the new alternator's "L" terminal.

GMC Hauler
06-09-2006, 13:56
You could decrease the size of your alternator pulley. I've gotten new pulleys installed on alternators at local alternator shops for $5.

Ratau
06-12-2006, 00:29
I did made the pulley smaller to 65mm but now the belts don't last. I going to put a jockey pulley next to the alternator to pull the belt around the pulley to get more contact area. The ratio between the crank and alternator pulleys are 3:1 and the alternator is rated at 120 amp.