PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of drag race

OliverJ
06-09-2006, 19:52
Thinking of trying my truck out at the local drag strip.It is a 05 lly with the juce/additude,4" pipe ,stock tranny.Eny tips on what level I should leave the mod in or related issues.

More Power
06-09-2006, 21:51
You might limp the Allison if all your marbles are on the table at launch with a stock Allison (in 4WD, level 5 and heavy power braking).

Try a couple runs in 2WD with moderate power braking. You'll get wheelspin, but it'll go easier on the Allison and you'll learn more about launching. Then ease into the higher power levels and increase the power braking for later runs (including 4WD) as you learn more... The ones who are producing the best times have paid their dues (time and $) to get there. ;)

Jim

Kennedy
06-10-2006, 04:43
If you do 4x4 launches be sure to lower the front end way down. You can cound the number of turns that you go down with the bar adjusters and bring it back up the same.

Level 3 (maybe 4 if no Boost Stick) on the Edge is probably about it for transmission safe power.

Mark Rinker
06-10-2006, 06:11
Regarding the Allison's adaptive learn...

Somewhere I read that drag racers were unhooking the battery and effectively resetting the Allison TCM to get firmer shifts during racing. Is this a common and effective practice?

Also, my '01 LB7 seems to have found its stride (adaptive-learn-wise) running about 60-80hp additional fuel(s) and more boost, all while towing heavy, at all times. More than anyone on here would be comfortable with, based on comments.

Question: Is it possible that Adaptive Learn, combined with nearly constant tow/haul setting has given the transmission a set of parameters that can hold 360+ hp?

Or is the 'adaptive learn' really my right foot?

OliverJ
06-10-2006, 07:42
Thanks guys ,I kind of figerd that level 3 or 4 whould be the limit but did,nt know about the lanching info.These trucks are amasing!Just want to realy open the duramax up and see what it can do.Since in city driving I can barely get the peddel down 1/2 way.This site is grate thanxs againe.

More Power
06-12-2006, 10:37
Adaptive learn does have an effect on performance... Last fall at SLC, I made three successive runs, all nearly identical except the Allison was learning on each pass. ET's lowered about .2 seconds each time - all due to shift improvement.;)

Jim