PDA

View Full Version : Suspension question

martanius
06-11-2006, 12:52
The first week I had my new truck in 2002 I cranked the Torsion bars all the way up and took it to a Midas shop and informed them of what I had done and asked them to perform an alignment without raising the torsion bars at all. It seemed to be a pain but he said he was able to get it very close. I have not had any problems at all in 4 years now. I was talking with a shop about putting on a new set of wheels and tires and wanted to go as tall as possible without a costly lift kit. They told me that to run 295/75s with my torsions up might cause problems, unless I had them install some other method to raise the front of the truck to level. I have been running 265/75s for quite some time. Are they just trying to sell me something or will I indeed be adding enough stress to my front end to require a different leveling method. ....

JeepSJ
06-11-2006, 20:50
I don't think it has anything to do with stress - I think it has to do with clearance. The 295's probably will not fit without some additional lift. The 265s are about 31" tall, and the 295s are about 34" tall.

DWRAT
06-15-2006, 22:42
Alot of people are running 285-75-16 and seem to be doing just fine with cranked T-bars. I personally am running 305-55-20 which are a true 33" tall tire with a nice wide 305mm width.
Dan

More Power
06-16-2006, 15:42
Cranking the torsion bars all the way up usually produces a harsher ride and can reduce the life of the ball joints, tie rods and CV shafts. Plus, bumps in the road can produce more than normal toe-out while the suspension is momentarily compressed - which produces some wandering over dips or rough road.

Jim