PDA

View Full Version : N/A 6.5 Military engines?

John Heagy
06-11-2006, 17:37
A few questions about military diesels.
1) Are N/A 6.5s used in military vehicles?
2) Do they "look" identical to 6.2s? i.e. the same intake manifolds.
3) What's the best way to tell them apart?
4) Does anybody have a list of block numbers for 6.5 military blocks?

Thanks
John

Hubert
06-12-2006, 15:18
Can you be more specific?

1) Are N/A 6.5s used in military vehicles?
I think yes depends on vehicle too. Fedex used the NA 6.5's too.

Depends on vehicle. I THINK the hummers have different angle like a van block.

Tell what 6.2 from 6.5's ? Or van/hummer heads vs pickup heads?

4) Does anybody have a list of block numbers for 6.5 military blocks? I imagine they would be the same block numbers as civilian trucks as the engines were still made by GM up til AMG took over ???? 99 or 2000???

John Heagy
06-12-2006, 19:05
Can you be more specific?

Depends on vehicle. I THINK the hummers have different angle like a van block.

I've never seen a van block, what angle are you refering to?

Tell what 6.2 from 6.5's ? Or van/hummer heads vs pickup heads?

6.2 from 6.5

4) Does anybody have a list of block numbers for 6.5 military blocks? I imagine they would be the same block numbers as civilian trucks as the engines were still made by GM up til AMG took over ???? 99 or 2000???

So if the block casting ends in 506 it's a 6.5 block, any other numbers that indicate a 6.5? What would I look for if it's an AMG block?

Thanks
John

Hubert
06-13-2006, 05:38
I am no expert but I think the hummers and vans have center mount turbo. Sorry to confuse terminology the heads have a different angle on intake manifold the blocks are all the same.

Not sure of casting info its in a few threads you could search for it. The improved blocks are all cast later by navistar for AMG/GEP and have some triangle logo in valley of block that indicates its a preffered block.

Diesel Depot
06-20-2006, 13:51
The military has used both NA and turbo 6.5L's in the Hmmwv's. These engines had the same casting numbers as the civilian engines. The early 90's engines with casting numbers 599 or 929 could be either a 6.5L or a 6.2L. Any of the later engines that have a 506 casting will definitely be 6.5L's. The block casting numbers are the same between the NA and the turbocharged engines. The turbo engines in the Hmmwv's are identical to the civilian turbo van engines. These have different heads than the standard pick-up truck engines. The difference being the angle of the intake bolt holes. The very lastest engines can be identified as Navistar castings by the logo in the valley of the engine up top. I hope that helps to answer your questions.
Jamie Avant
Diesel Depot