PDA

View Full Version : Fuel shut-off solenoid problem

perryvr
06-14-2006, 10:51
Just finished installing new heads, gaskets, water-pump upgrade, gauges, 4" exhaust, new injectors, new injector lines, new glow plugs. I now have a no-start problem with my truck.

My 1st thought was an air-lock...so, I opend up all the injector lines and no fuel would come out of them.

My 2nd thought was the fuel shut-off solenoid. I disconnected it an applied power to 1 terminal and ground to the other terminal and the solenoid would make a clicking noise just as it should.

So, I tested the connections of the fuel shut-off solenoid with my handy test light connected to a ground and I found voltage at BOTH of the terminals in the connection to the fuel shut-off solenoid????

Any ideas what is going on??

I also noticed that the fuel lift pump will run any time the ignition key is ON..Normally this should run only when the ignition key is in the "crank/start" position and then the OPS will keep it running once the truck starts.

So it appears I have 2 problems....Both I assume are related....a fuel shut-off solenoid that has power to both of its connection terminals and a fuel lift-pump that is running all of the time...I did not have these problems prior to the work I just completed so I have a feeling I am missing a ground wire or something..

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Perry

1994 GMC K2500 HD
Vin code: F

diesel65
06-14-2006, 13:50
I would go back and recheck your ground wires, I think you might have missed one that goes to the PCM.
You are correct that you should not see voltage at both terminals of the shut-off solenoid, I think the missing ground is your problem.
There are two thin ground wires that used for the PCM and they are grounded to the intake manifold bolt by the trans diptick tube.

With the fuel pump running on , did you try disconnecting the OPS to see if the pump stops.

perryvr
06-14-2006, 17:53
Yahoo, found the problem...it was one of the ground wires on the back of the passengers side head...this ground wire connection actually had 2-wires attached to it.....truck started right up....running a little rough....and LOTS of black smoke....never had much for smoke before the new heads....but hopefully that will clear up....have not had time to let it run very long....Thanks! :)