PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I'm new here!!!!

DWRAT
06-15-2006, 17:02
Just wanted to start by saying hello to everyone!
I have a 04.5 LLY Chevy 4X4 and when towing in the heat pulling heavy loads up hills it sure likes to get real hot when factory stock. Anyone out there know of a solution.
I've tried several different items and they all seem to help but, I really would like to find a GM solution.
Thanks
Dan

olimaxx
06-15-2006, 20:50
are you using tow haul mode? air intake? edge? high flow exhaust?

More Power
06-15-2006, 20:55
Welcome! :)

Can you hear when the fan-clutch engages? If so, at what engine temp?

Jim

DWRAT
06-15-2006, 22:00
are you using tow haul mode? air intake? edge? high flow exhaust?

Using tow/haul all the time when towing heavy. I have a true cold air intake system, what I mean about true is I am reading about 2 degrees above outside air temp going into my air box, No motor heat getting in. No power adders as Chevy has sealed my connectors to monitor if they are messed with and finally I am running a full 4" system from the turbo back, no cat just a muffler and 5" tip.
Dan

DWRAT
06-15-2006, 22:02
Welcome! :)

Can you hear when the fan-clutch engages? If so, at what engine temp?

Jim

Yes the fan comes in in stages. It starts at about 208 degrees not reading the factory gauge (coolilng probe) and will pull harder the hotter it gets.
Dan

More Power
06-16-2006, 06:52
No power adders as Chevy has sealed my connectors to monitor if they are messed with

Big brother is looking out for you.... :rolleyes: Dodge began adding tamperproof stickers to their engine control electrical connectors a few years ago, and some of the owners rebelled...... This was tested in a warranty dispute arbitration, and Dodge didn't prevail.

Are there any other Duramax owners who also have their electrical connectors sealed?

As for your engine getting too warm, you might ask your dealer whether there are any ECM/TCM updates available for your VIN. Engine management can affect variables like power and ECT.

Jim

Dave
06-17-2006, 04:08
GM has issued a revised PIP on the LLY equiped 04.5 and 05 trucks. Have your dealer check that. At this time GM still does not have a fix for it. I had the heat problems with my 05. My trans temp would climb to 280 degrees and coolant would hit 256 degrees with an ambient temperature of 70 degrees in the hills.

The dealer also sealed my connectors to make sure I was not lieing about the truck being 100% stock. I also had to provide a weight ticket to prove I was not exceeding GVWR and GCWR. I was only loaded to a combind weight of 21020, well under the 23500 the truck is rated for.

GM's fix for my truck was an 06 LBZ.

DWRAT
06-17-2006, 17:14
GM has issued a revised PIP on the LLY equiped 04.5 and 05 trucks. Have your dealer check that. At this time GM still does not have a fix for it. I had the heat problems with my 05. My trans temp would climb to 280 degrees and coolant would hit 256 degrees with an ambient temperature of 70 degrees in the hills.

The dealer also sealed my connectors to make sure I was not lieing about the truck being 100% stock. I also had to provide a weight ticket to prove I was not exceeding GVWR and GCWR. I was only loaded to a combind weight of 21020, well under the 23500 the truck is rated for.

GM's fix for my truck was an 06 LBZ.

Thanks for your reply, I sent you a PM.
Dan

rob from bc canada
06-18-2006, 07:58
I got an 05 - no heating problems so far, but we haven't had any hot weather, and I don't tow hard.

By the way - what is a "PIP" - what do they have to check???

DWRAT
06-18-2006, 19:44
I got an 05 - no heating problems so far, but we haven't had any hot weather, and I don't tow hard.

By the way - what is a "PIP" - what do they have to check???

Service Bulletin