PDA

View Full Version : axle bolt torque?

vernj4
01-01-2006, 08:15
the 8 bolts which secure the axle keep coming loose. According to the manual, 20 lb-ft required but they come loose. Would lock tite be the answer or just torque to a higher level..like 35-40 lb-ft?

Turbine Doc
01-01-2006, 10:49
The axle to frame bolts ??? or are you referring to the wheel to axle lug-nuts if those; something is seriously wrong with your torque spec, my 6 bolt lugnuts are 140 ft lbs I suspect yours would be 100+ ft lbs as well.

rjschoolcraft
01-01-2006, 11:10
Tim,

I think he's talking about the bolts that attach the axle shaft flange to the hub on the heavy duty rear axle assys.

Vern,

According to my 95 manual (in the text for installation), those bolts are supposed to be torqued to 115 lb-ft. This number is not in the specification table at the end of the secion, but in the paragraph that tells you to install the bolts.

This tightening is critical. The torque from the axle shaft drives through this flange coupling into the hub to the wheels. Flange couplings are designed to transfer torque through friction between the mating flange surfaces...not in shear through the bolt shanks. To get the proper friction capability, the bolts must be torqued properly. You will eventually see damage to your bolts and flanges if this isn't corrected promptly.

DmaxMaverick
01-01-2006, 11:48
RJ is correct. The axle flange bolts for the 10.5" full floater should be 115 lb/ft. This torque is critical, for the exact reason he described.

If you've ran with them at 20# for any time/distance, or towed at all, I suggest replacing the bolts. It may be too late for them. You may even see them bent, or the treads damaged. If it wasn't leaking lube, I'd suspect a dry bearing, as well. It is very important you take measures to ensure the bearings are well lubed after removing the axles. Either pack them with grease (shortcut), or fill, and jack up each side, individually (tilting the axle, considerably, to each side), to allow lube to run down the axle tubes to the hubs. Recheck the fill on level ground after the service.

What manual are you using, and can you quote the part with the 20# spec? If your book has a typo, we need to have it addressed by the publisher.

vernj4
01-01-2006, 18:43
Thanks for your input. Re-read the manual....found the 115 lb-ft note. Think I seen the 20 lb-ft note in the section covering the 11"ring gear. Thanks again,