PDA

View Full Version : lift pump dying?

rgrowan
06-19-2006, 15:17
My mechanical lift pump is really starting to make some noise. It sounds very loud from the outside. I had a problem with my glowplugs which led to some seriously hard starting situations. Did I wear out the lift pump? Should I replace it? Should I go electric or stick with mechanical? Is it a hard replacement or is it just take out and put back in? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Robyn
06-19-2006, 17:32
If the 99 referenced in the bottom og the post is your truck it does not have a mechanical pump.
The later trucks all had electric located under the drivers side of the rig in the frame rail about under the drivers butt.
if yuuuuus got noise it taint the lift pump my friend.
RC

rgrowan
06-19-2006, 17:50
Could it be a vacuum pump? I can see it through the front passenger wheel well, it is round and seems to have a diaphragm that pumps in and out. "clicking" noise that it makes increases with acceleration. Any ideas?

DmaxMaverick
06-19-2006, 19:08
Bingo! Vacuum pump. If it's that noisy, time to replace.

Your first post had me scratching my head, too.

kowsoc
06-19-2006, 21:21
Lift pumps CAN be noisy, and mine in my 94 can definitely be heard before starting the engine. I'm not sure how long it will go and how much noise is considered normal.

fastcat800
06-21-2006, 09:52
Lift pumps CAN be noisy, and mine in my 94 can definitely be heard before starting the engine. I'm not sure how long it will go and how much noise is considered normal.
I can't ever hear mine. You have to put your hand on it to tell it is working.