PDA

View Full Version : rough high idle

cowboywildbill
06-22-2006, 10:59
Hi everyone. I have noticed for about a month now that when I just barlely step on the throttle just a little bit, about 100 to 200 rpm above factory idle I get a rough idle. Almost like a miss. It does it in drive or park. It goes away and smooths out if I give it just a little more pedal or let it go back to idle.
I think I know what problem might be, the dreaded "I" word. Every thing else seems normal. What do you think? Thanks for your time.

DmaxMaverick
06-22-2006, 11:28
Injector balancing only happens when you have 0% APP. Get off of 0%, and the injector balancing is disabled. Your injectors may still be within the range, but I'd suggest a balance check. The check for balancing and PWM can be done with a Tech II type scanner, or a Predator. The dealer will do it, but will charge you about 1 hour of labor if the injectors are found within spec. If your results indicate an injector replacement, the extended injector warranty will cover everything but a rental. Much of your findings will rely on what you consider a "rough" idle, and the actual numbers your balancing indicates.

Other things that can effect idle quality:
Fuel filter
Fuel quality
Air leak into fuel
Air filter
MAF contamination

cowboywildbill
06-23-2006, 10:22
Thanks, Are the new injectors better than the originial one's or just the same type? I guess it would be worth the flat rate for the diagnostics just to have piece of mind.

DmaxMaverick
06-23-2006, 11:28
They were supposed to be "improved" for 2003. This could explain why 2003 injector issues are more rare, and the bulletin covers 2001/2002, and some 2003 models. I've had all 8 of mine replaced, but am having an issue with 1 injector after about 8K miles. Even if they have been "fixed", we still have QC, the human factor, and dumb luck to consider.

cowboywildbill
06-26-2006, 11:09
Thanks, I guess I better get it checked.