PDA

View Full Version : 82 6.2 block in a 97?

yeti
06-23-2006, 14:23
Maybe this is the wrong forum but here goes......
I would have searched it but wasn't sure what to or how to go about searching... :(

I am looking at buying a 1997 1ton chevy with a blown 6.5td. The garage says the top end is good. Could I take the 6.2 out of my '82 and use that block? this is a new 6.2 from gm that is about 6 years old.

dieseldummy
06-23-2006, 16:12
Maybe this is the wrong forum but here goes......
I would have searched it but wasn't sure what to or how to go about searching... :(

I am looking at buying a 1997 1ton chevy with a blown 6.5td. The garage says the top end is good. Could I take the 6.2 out of my '82 and use that block? this is a new 6.2 from gm that is about 6 years old.

The short block will work. The oil pressure sender will be in a different location, you will have to fab an oil supply for the turbo, and a couple other little things to make it work. I have a 6.2 shortblock in my '93 w/6.5 heads and everything else is 6.5.

DmaxMaverick
06-23-2006, 16:32
What color is (or was) your block? If it's red, you got the golden goose, as far as 6.2's go. Higher nickel in the iron means a stronger bottom end, and 82 was the only year, until Navistar started casting them. You'll have a good combo. Use all the other 6.5 stuff, like Dummy said. If your 6.5 heads are good like you say, use them as well. They are more efficient, and will accept later injectors ('82 had corse threads).

For the turbo oil return, weld a boss into the oil pan while you have it out. Heck....While you're there, might as well install a stud girdle. Careful. You could get carried away....

yeti
06-23-2006, 16:39
thanks guys.

yeti
06-24-2006, 11:38
ok I looked at the truck this morning. Body is in great shape. New trans. The Garage (from what I could tell) did not drop the pan. the guy said he got in it one morning and tried to start it. Said it turned over hard like the batteries were dead. He turned the key off, waited a minute and tried starting it again. This time it turned over and started but also started to knock. Could this be just a bearing? There was metal shavings in the oil. Would this be worth $2500? The truck was serviced on a regular basis when the previous owner had it. this guy has had the truck for about 9 months.

NH2112
06-24-2006, 14:55
Just for the good body & new tranny I'd say $2500 is a good price. You'll lose the piston coolers with the '82 block but that may or may not be a big deal to you. I've heard some people say the galley holes where the jets are pressed in lead to cracks, and if you build the bottom end ceramic-coated pistons might have the same results as oil sprays.

I have a block that's supposedly an '82 sitting in my storage unit, if it's not I only paid $10 for it LOL Someday I'd like to build it up with 6.5l heads & stuff, stud girdle, propane, i/c, etc and make myself a powerhouse.

yeti
06-24-2006, 16:03
Someday I'd like to build it up with 6.5l heads & stuff, stud girdle, propane, i/c, etc and make myself a powerhouse.

that is another question. since I am going to have this apart, where might i find a stud girdle?

JohnC
06-27-2006, 10:19
He said it was a new GM engine 6 years ago. If this is true, it's probably a 6 year old block. 6 years ago was the latest GM block, with turbo oil lines and oil spray pistons, right?

ronniejoe
06-27-2006, 10:49
He said it was a new GM engine 6 years ago. If this is true, it's probably a 6 year old block. 6 years ago was the latest GM block, with turbo oil lines and oil spray pistons, right?

Should be... However, it could be new old stock, but I doubt it. When my first engine blew in June of 2000, I got a new GM 6.5 that had a block casting date of April 2000. Look behind the passenger side head on your 6.2 and look for a cast code consisting of a letter and some numbers. That will be the date code. Report it here and we will decipher it for you.

Look long and hard at the stud girdles that are out there. I really doubt that they do any good at all to prevent block cracks...

yeti
06-27-2006, 19:02
Well after getting together with the owner yesterday I come to realize it is not a 97 but a 93. All things considered, I am getting the truck tomorrow and will drop the pan for a good long look.

bubble-city
06-28-2006, 22:09
Could I take the 6.2 out of my '82 and use that block? this is a new 6.2 from gm that is about 6 years old.
I had asked a similar question a month or so ago, about installing an '83 "J" code 6.2 from a van in a '95 truck. I couldn't find my posting anymore, but one response said that the pistons in the 6.2's were not durable enough for the turbo, and could "melt" if the exhaust temp got too high. I decided not to use the 6.2. I got a good deal on a '94 6.5 from a truck that lost a fight with Bambi.
If you decide to use the 6.2, let me know how it works out. I'd love to use mine in something newer.
Mike.

yeti
06-30-2006, 18:49
The truck finnally made it to my house. I plan to drop the pan tomorrow to see what I can see. Anything I should be especially aware of. As of right now I am looking for a spun bearing. Any advice?

yeti
09-14-2006, 16:31
Look behind the passenger side head on your 6.2 and look for a cast code consisting of a letter and some numbers. That will be the date code. Report it here and we will decipher it for you.

OK, I found a cucv motor. It is a 6.2 litre. It had a remanufacturers tag attached with these no.
ser#PJA0515
NSN 2815.01.150.5002
122 stamped into block
Tag also says 'block was fogged and crankcase filled with PE30'

This motor came right off the shelf at the motor pool on a military base nearby.