PDA

View Full Version : Diesels could power 30% of Hondas in U.S.

RdTxTd
06-24-2006, 17:44
Diesels could power as much as 30 percent of Hondas in the U.S.

TOKYO -- Diesel engines could power as many as 30 percent of Honda Motor Co.'s vehicles in both the United States and Japan, a senior company official said.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060622/FREE/60619010/1024/LATESTNEWS

SoCal_XJ
06-29-2006, 09:09
I wonder which vehicles they will target to install the diesel(s). I have been eyeing a Pilot for my wife's grocery getting. A diesel that could get 20mpg around town and 30mpg on the highway for that size suv would sell me.

john8662
07-03-2006, 11:25
It's about time Honda considered Diesel power. Although (the pessimist inside me) thinks that Honda doesn't understand Diesels, as their whole experience in with gasoline.

Either way, it's anticpated, but when?

turbovair
07-15-2006, 00:08
Understand it or not, Honda's track record is pretty good. I'm sure they will do their homework and have success as they always have.Maybe looking at diesels with fresh eyes may yield some new twists in the diesel game that everyone else can learn from. You never know.

AlbertaDiesel
09-21-2006, 11:24
In my experience Honda = excellent engineering. It is about time they turned their minds to diesels.

colt49
11-17-2006, 10:19
Honda runs diesels all over the world and Europe is maybe the best example. They have the next Emissions Control Method superior to many with the Catalytics Treatment they have patented and is coming on the Civic to US soon. Just a matter of time for the new nonsense of new fuel, vehicle control systems and miles to add up for the evidence to show once the published mags and papers show it is fine to run. The Class 8 truck makers have millions of miles on these new engines and systems. Long oil changes etc. it works just alot of added filters to have on if you drive new ones. Message boards in Europe in the car and Suv slots tell of all their years on the new fuel we are in fear of. Relax it will work out. I wouldn't go back to that 70's and 80's diesel circus of engines if you gave me one. That junk is where it belongs scrapped out!!! These new alloys and electronic control systems just run once they are designed and tuned. I'm glad they don't make them like they used to!!! My 06 Duramax Allison is so sweet compared to an 84 one ton with a 6.2 clanking clunker motor. Stock to stock comparison is my point. I know the old is out and I'm glad. If someone likes to run the old ones go ahead. I will wave on the hill when I go by at 90 and your 6.2 is smoking and chugging 30 poppin on the 6%.

SoTxPollock
11-27-2006, 12:14
I am sure neither GM nor F**d, nor D***e, are happy to hear about Honda's considering entering the Diesel market here.
Toyota and Honda take different approaches. Honda has always Engineered to the nth degree on everything and analysed everything and tested everything before they ever start talking about it in public. You can bet they are up to something and their track record is pretty remarkable.
GM would be wise to initiate partnering agreements with them now because whatever Honda produces will sell or they won't produce it. With GM's chassis and Honda power. That might be another awsome truck. I think personally the Izzusu, GM combination has worked well and produced the best truck to date. Lets face it GM, people will pay the price, but it better be super quality.
We want trucks that work and play and stay out of the shop. IMHO.

winemaker
01-15-2007, 19:06
I hear the new Toyota Tundra will have a diesel to run with the big dogs. This I would like to see. Too bad the diesel they offer in other markets isn't available in North America. Remembering fondly my 1980 landcruiser with a 3L NA diesel, I would love to see my wife driving my son around in a newer Landcruiser wagon with that wicked 4.2L TD of theirs.
I'm importing a 1992 Mitsubishi Pajero with a 2.5L Intercooled TD. Why isn't this, the winningest vehicle of the Dakar rally, available here? I'll tell all about it when I get it in a few months.