PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance tricks

Robyn
06-26-2006, 11:17
I have read several threads about problems encountered in changing glow plugs and starters and other items on the 6.5 in the pickup/Suburban chasis
I am just finishing up a complete overhaul on a 94 Sub and this has been very enlightening.
One of the best ways to get easy access to the glow plugs and the starter ( right side of vehicle) is to remove the right front tire and the rubber flap over the suspension.
This allows very easy access to all but one glow plug.
The rear right glow plug can be reached from under the right side easily between the manifold and the frame.
The starter front support ( very important to keep bolt and starter snout intact)
The front starter support is a nasty little beastie but can be reached and done though the fender opening. The starter main cable and ignition lead are also easy to reach here too.
The left side is relatively easy to get to as the manifold is tight against the engine and a hand can be inserted all along that side to get to glow plugs and such.
Dont forget to use a touch of never seaze on the threads of the glow plug. Now ya dont need to drown the suckers, just a touch on the threads will do.
The designers did not do us any favors when it comes to gaining access to parts that will need service but if you use all available entry points into the engine bay it can be easier.
The rubber fender well covers are cheap and do go away in time, so have a set of spares and some plastic push plugs to replace the old ones as they will go way when you try to get them out after a few years and a bazillion miles.
Just some observasions that may help someone.
One needs to hate the engineers that designed this thing as they always put the items that will need work on a regular basis in the least accessible spot.
Best to ya
Robyn

stingthieves
06-26-2006, 14:20
The rubber fender well covers are cheap and do go away in time, so have a set of spares and some plastic push plugs to replace the old ones as they will go way when you try to get them out after a few years and a bazillion miles.

Where do you get yours

Robyn
06-26-2006, 15:27
The rubber flap is a GM item. The little barbed plastic buttons are available at most major auto parts stores.
RC

jspringator
06-26-2006, 15:45
Why do you need them? They seemed superfluous to me.

Robyn
06-26-2006, 16:14
The rubber flaps keep the road spray and mud from getting all over the engine. I have run rigs without them but the engine gets soaked in the wet weather. They are a good idea to keep in place.
RC

Cowracer
06-27-2006, 07:51
My trick for the front starter bracket is to remove it with the starter.

Set the starter on a bench. there are a couple of bumps in the housing that act as feet to keep it from rolling off the bench. Use an angle finder to find the exact angle of the bracket, and remove the bracket.

Set the new starter on the bench with the exact same orientation. Use the angle finder to set the bracket back to the original angle and tighen the bolt to finish toruqe.

The bracket will then be at the proper angle to mate with the boss in the block, and you wont have to try to tighten that impossible-to-get-to screw holding the bracket to the starter in a difficult location.

Tim