PDA

View Full Version : Banks Ram Air Kit - The Good and the Bad

DIESELMAX403
06-26-2006, 11:36
Prior to installing a Banks Ram Air kit onto my Duramax, the truck was running good and strong with the Banks Stinger TLC kit (Exhaust, Ottomind Computer, BigHead Wastegate, Gages). After installing the Ram Air Kit, the 1st thing I noticed when I took it for a test drive is that I had lost most of my power in 1st gear. In fact I know have to look for an embarrassingly long gap in traffic before cutting out.

Before installing the Ram Air kit, I had a short moment of turbo lag and then it pulled hard. If I was pulling a heavy trailer, the tires would break loose almost immediately. After installing the kit, it seems to have no boost and power until 2nd gear. First gear gets me to 20 mph at approximately 3250 rpm with a maximum of 10 psi boost. When second kicks in, my boost immediately jumps to 22+ psi and it pulls hard sometimes breaking the tires loose. It then runs through the rest of the gears with no problem. In fact it feels like the Ram Air kit improves power from 2nd on up.

I spoke to two technical reps at Banks and they were no help. The basically said if there was no SES lights and the Banks computer diagnostic light was not flashing its red LED then I should have noticed an improvement in throttle response and power through all gears. I question whether this is true. Their advertising claims their kit make up to 39 hp and 69 lb-ft, which it may do somewhere through the rpm range, but from my experience, it kills throttle response and power in first gear.

Before I take off the Ram Air Kit and install back on my stock unit w/K&N, I want to understand what is going on. Is the fact that the kit re-located my MAF causing a problem? With the big increase in the intake tube flow area, should I expect a longer turbo lag? Has anyone else experience this problem? Please help as I am frustrated with Banks technical support.

Thanks,

DieselMax403

VA_Dmax
06-26-2006, 17:17
I dont know if this will help, I recently installed the AFE Kit with the new intake tube and filter. One day I noticed something was REALLY wrong. No power at ALL from the line, I mean the truck was almost stalling out trying to get going. I thought it was my clutch, so I pulled back into a parking lot, popped the hood, and realized that one of the hose clamps, I guess I had over-tightened, and the rubber gasket slid off the plastic tube. The leak was after the MAF, so I guess it wasnt reading that any air was coming through. Anyway until the turbo started spinnin there was NO power at all. As soon as I retightend the clamp, within no time it was fine again. Maybe check it for some kind of leak after the MAF? Just an idea, maybe its not it, but it sounded real familiar to my situation so I thought Id chime in.

mark45678
06-26-2006, 17:33
Did you try cleaning the mass air flow sensor? Pull it out and hose it off with crc lectromotive (electrical contact cleaner) , put it back in and like stated above check for leaks post sensor.

DIESELMAX403
06-27-2006, 10:52
VA_Dmax

The first thing I suspected was a leak, but everything appears tight. I may just try removing and re-installing in case it is at the bottom of the turbo inlet housing where I cannot see.

Another thing I suspect is a possible leak around the MAF. With the Banks kit, the MAF is relocated to just before the turbo inlet. I followed the instruction which calls for an additional o-ring, but maybe it did not seal properly. I will check this evening.

mark45678

I will try cleaning the MAF as recommended. Is there anything special I should know about cleaning the sensor so that I do not damage it? Will the force of the spray nozzel hurt it?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Regards,

Dieselmax403

mark45678
06-27-2006, 15:20
blast it off with what ever comes out of the can, avoid getting any cleaner in the motor and let it air dry dont use a blow gun to dry it.

ThunderMax
07-04-2006, 09:37
I was very interested in istalling the same Banks induction kit to my truck . Did you ever get it situated ? I really don't want to spend all the money if it dosen't work . Please let me know how you made out . Thank You

Freeman777
07-04-2006, 10:05
About three months ago, I had Banks (at their HQs in Azusa, CA) install their Ram Air Kit in my 2004.5 K3500 and I couldn't be happier with the results. There was a very noticeable increase in performance (it feels like 39 more horses to me running it in the stock position.) I'm still waiting for them to finish their R & D on the exhaust brake for my particular model (LLY.)

ThunderMax
07-04-2006, 12:11
I have the LLY also and would love to install this kit but can't afford to take a chance . So far it looks like 1 positive result and 1 negative . Has anybody else tried this kit ? Thank You

DIESELMAX403
09-10-2006, 14:17
ThunderMax,

I never got the issue resolved. The stock intake with the Banks filter definitely gives me much better throttle response than the Banks Ram Air Kit. The only improvement I feel is at higher speeds. Cleaning the MAF helped slightly, but it was not the culprit of my problem.

Banks has provided me with no help. When I get the time, I want to do some 0-60 test runs with and without the Ram AIr Kit. I considered Dyno testing, but this would negate any benefits caused by forced air into the front grill. I am determined to find my problem, but I have been busy and have not had much time.

DieselMax403

More Power
09-10-2006, 15:29
I've been communicating pretty regularly with a member from Virginia who just completed a 15,000-mile tour of the US & parts of Canada in his 2005 Chevy 3500 Duramax/Allison & 36' 5th-wheel. He installed a Banks air intake kit just prior to his beginning the trip. No reported problems with the Banks kit. He's running stock power otherwise.

Jim

cowboywildbill
09-11-2006, 10:43
Jim will you be at the GMC booth at the Quarter horse congress this year?
We will be dropping by around Oct. 9 th. Hope to see youn there.