PDA

View Full Version : Trip Results Towing Trailer

Roy W
06-26-2006, 17:40
I just got back from a 4,500 mile trip from NE Florida to New York State, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine pulling my 32' Jayco travel trailer. On the scales, we grossed out at 17,800 lbs. I used a total of 397 gallons of fuel for a 11.3 mpg average, all hand calculated. Approximately 3000 miles was all interstate driving at 65 mph. The rest was all on secondary paved mountain roads, and I locked out overdrive for all of those, as speeds were in the 50 mph range. I encountered many 6 and 7% grades, and at least three that indicated 12 to 13% grade. All grades were at least a mile long. Ambient temperatures ranged from 50 to 93 degrees. Engine coolant temperature never moved off the 195-200 degree mark. The engine fan came on probably 6 or 8 times, but only when transmission temperature climbed to 200 degrees, and then it only ran for a couple of minutes until trans temp dropped back to 190 degrees. Exhaust temperature never exceeded 1300 degrees, even when pulling a steep grade. Edge EZ was in #1 for the entire trip. The TTS exhaust was as quiet as stock at all speeds.

I thought this forum could use a positive experience from a user that hasn't experienced any overheating problems.

More Power
06-27-2006, 12:04
Thanks for the report!

Your experience with LLY engine/trans temps and calculated fuel economy matches what I see with my LB7, while towing a similarly sized travel trailer. :)

Jim

Mark Rinker
07-01-2006, 08:49
Good numbers. I am jealous, after averaging only 9.2 hauling boats to and from the west coast with a bone stock LLY. My gross was over 20K, and the trailer's 8 small 14" wheels and tires have alot of rolling resistance...

However, the power and heat control were flawless the entire trip. Its pretty nice to have the A/C blasting, listening to CDs while you climb mountain grades in 80 degree temps.

Looks like your mods are working for you - congrats!