PDA

View Full Version : towing mirrors

Gapper_ca
06-27-2006, 20:18
Does anyone have a good towing mirror? aside from the $400 for replacment ones?

BozDMAX
06-28-2006, 20:20
Wish I could help you, but if you spent good money for a truck and more good money on a trailer, then you are probably going to have to spend $400 for a good set of mirrors. Although I understand the newer trucks finally have a decent set of mirrors.

$400 I spent was well worth it.

454chevy
06-29-2006, 14:55
What body style? '88-'01?? I was looking for a set of mirrors for our '93 GMC, and couldn't find any I really liked, except on Dodge trucks...on a dare, I called the nearest Dodge dealer and asked the parts guy about a set of mirrors. Well, they offered a "kit" that came with 2 mirrors and mounting hardware for like $150 total...oddly, a buddy broke one of his mirrors off his Dodge truck and called the dealer with the replacement part # and they quoted him $300+ for a *sinlge mirror*...stupid thing was he had the same kind of mirrors I bought in a kit for half the price. Anyway, the mirrors are the big flip out style found on the Dodge duallies and such...and they mated up to our '93 Chevy's doors almost perfectly...

jspringator
06-29-2006, 17:57
I bought a set of CIPA replacement mirrors that pull out. I am not happy with them. They shake, and no longer electrically adjust.

Kennedy
07-01-2006, 06:35
The Cipa mirrors are about the best availale for the earlier body style. We've had pretty good luck with them with the exception of some QC issues (vibrating glass) that generally show up immediately.

For the later body style, the Schefenacker TTT mirrors flat out rule.

Both have been installed in product reviews by The Diesel Page...

JeffsTowTruck
07-03-2006, 16:14
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/products/index.cfm?deptID=&subOf=32&prodID=5125&src=TSC
Call me cheap. But I have had these on my truck 4 or 5 years now. I have never taken them off. They work good for me.. But 50.00 verses 300.00? Just an idea!

HowieE
07-04-2006, 12:11
I had a set of Cipa mirrors for 3 or 4 years and they just stopped electricaly adjusting 2 weeks ago. Have not attemped a fix yet. As for the vibration of the glass I cut 3 pieces of 3/8 in clear plastic tubing and wedged them in at 3 places around the mirror and against the frame. They would still adjust, back when the motors worked, but greatly reduced the vibration. Then with noone else driving the truck I was not concerned about adjusting.

markelectric
07-04-2006, 19:25
I bought a set of visionview mirrors under some advice from a friend. I had the wife ok them by the picture on the web. Put them on after a compleate rewiring (why is it so hard to sell something that fits on the first try?) I installed them. She who must be obeyed thought they were great. Then she drove the SUB. She came home and said she HATES them. I guess I am in the market for a new set as I trashed the OEM ones to get the connectors out of them. I will probably go after a set of CIPAs.
I would entertain offers on them if you are interested. They will be on ebay when I get enough time to do the swap and listing (read long time).

RdTxTd
07-05-2006, 18:43
I have a pair of the CIPA mirrors that I've been meaning to put on Ebay. They were on my 01 Suburban that I sold last year. Mine had some vibration, and I did something similar to what HowieE described, but with black foam weatherstrip.

I liked the mirrors, but the electrics were not compatible with my new truck, and the new truck has the electric extending mirrors anyway.

Dave

StrangeEngine
07-07-2006, 10:58
For the later body style, the Schefenacker TTT mirrors flat out rule.

Agreed. The TTT mirrors are the schizznit.

- Mark

sturgeon-phish
07-09-2006, 05:36
I have a '96 and use the same type as Jeff above. They work and way less than the electric adjustables.
Jim

Eric.wc
07-13-2006, 08:36
What body style? '88-'01?? I was looking for a set of mirrors for our '93 GMC, and couldn't find any I really liked, except on Dodge trucks...on a dare, I called the nearest Dodge dealer and asked the parts guy about a set of mirrors. Well, they offered a "kit" that came with 2 mirrors and mounting hardware for like $150 total...oddly, a buddy broke one of his mirrors off his Dodge truck and called the dealer with the replacement part # and they quoted him $300+ for a *sinlge mirror*...stupid thing was he had the same kind of mirrors I bought in a kit for half the price. Anyway, the mirrors are the big flip out style found on the Dodge duallies and such...and they mated up to our '93 Chevy's doors almost perfectly...

Did they bolt right up? Do you have any pictures? Thanks