PDA

View Full Version : EGR Vacume Leak

Nic
06-27-2006, 20:32
I have a 1998 Tahoe with and L56 in it and I just had the injection pump replaced and it wasn't 30 miles later that I got a SES light come on. It read as a P1409 (EGR vacume system leak). I read from another posting somthing that I think is similar that I should put an L65 chip in to eliminate the SES light. What does that do and is this the correct answer to my problem? Any help would be great.
Nic

More Power
06-28-2006, 14:20
The 1996 or newer 6.5 doesn't use a replaceable chip, but you can replace the PCM with one programmed for more power. Contact www.kennedydiesel.com (http://www.kennedydiesel.com) for more info about installing HD programming.

Jim

chickenhunterbob
06-29-2006, 08:04
If your IP was replaced, and 30 miles later you have a code for vacuum leak, I would check all the vacuum lines from the vac pump to each solenoid, and the EGR on top of the upper intake. Check for pinched vac lines, or a line disconnected at one of the EGR solenoids.

All these lines were presumably disconnected with the removal of the intake and such for the pump R&R, perhaps one may not have been pushed on too good.

worth a look see,

Bnave95
07-02-2006, 06:50
Years ago when a long block was install by a dealer,the vac. line to the waste gate nipple was split. Still would have boost yet while towing the boost would not hold.

Nic
07-03-2006, 10:28
If your IP was replaced, and 30 miles later you have a code for vacuum leak, I would check all the vacuum lines from the vac pump to each solenoid, and the EGR on top of the upper intake. Check for pinched vac lines, or a line disconnected at one of the EGR solenoids.

All these lines were presumably disconnected with the removal of the intake and such for the pump R&R, perhaps one may not have been pushed on too good.

worth a look see,

I definitely will have a look and make sure all those lines were put back right. I now have a bigger problem with knock coming from the passenger side of the engine. checked all the accesories run off the belt the all sounded fine really sounds like it might be a rod.d

Bnave95
07-04-2006, 03:21
With your Vac system woo's,now it sounds as though your problem could be your vaccum pump is bad. This is why you hear a knock. Take off the drive belt and see if the knock goes away.

Nic
07-05-2006, 23:34
With your Vac system woo's,now it sounds as though your problem could be your vaccum pump is bad. This is why you hear a knock. Take off the drive belt and see if the knock goes away.

YOur right on the money the vacume pump is the problem. I am experiencing lack of power is that because the vacume pump is not working not sure what all the vacume pump does for the engine. Also is the OEM vacume pump the way to go or is there a better after market that would do a better job. Definitely a lot happier to find out that the knock was not coming from in the block somewhere.
Nic

Bnave95
07-06-2006, 02:54
YOur right on the money the vacume pump is the problem. I am experiencing lack of power is that because the vacume pump is not working not sure what all the vacume pump does for the engine. Also is the OEM vacume pump the way to go or is there a better after market that would do a better job. Definitely a lot happier to find out that the knock was not coming from in the block somewhere.
Nic
You should stay with the pump. Having a EGR system along with the need to control the boost,turbo would be your best bet.
There are ways of not using the vac. system though it take some learning on what areas of the Eng. parts you'll have to change.

Bnave95
07-06-2006, 03:00
Nic
With your L6.5 the vac. pump controls the EGR and Turbo Boost. With the pump not working your turbo has no boost,lack of power and black smoke under power.Thers alot more to the system and you can learn by using the search and reading about other members problem in the same area as you are having.

Nic
07-06-2006, 08:04
With your L6.5 the vac. pump controls the EGR and Turbo Boost. With the pump not working your turbo has no boost,lack of power and black smoke under power.Thers alot more to the system and you can learn by using the search and reading about other members problem in the same area as you are having.

Thanks for the advice just ordered the pump from Napa gets there at noon today got rained out of work today so looks like I can get to it today. I let you know how it is all going. Did some googleing an learned what all the vacuum pump does for my truck. I can't wait to get the pump on and see how much it makes a difference. It seems like I have not driven my tahoe with everything at optimum I've had it for 5 months and only driven it 3-4K miles. Lots of hills around my parts and its no fun barely holding 55 with nothing left.

Nic
07-13-2006, 20:10
Finnally found the time to get the new vaccum pump on the tahoe. I have noticed lots of black smoke now so I need to look at that now. but I think it has something to do with a boost problem It feels like the turbo is only working half the time I can't really give the throttle a good push with out it dogging out on me. I read up on exsesive black smoke and looks like I need to take a good look at the waste gate solenoid. Thanks for everyones help