PDA

View Full Version : Programmer rant, this crap is really starting to stink!!

7.4 VORTEC
06-27-2006, 22:19
Hello All,

I am getting disgusted and concerned about the short commings of so many programmers available to the public (talking about the handheld and plug in styles). I've got friends and customers that own diesels (mainly powerstrokes and duramaxes, just don't know many cummins guys). I am seeing more and more issues with programmers from even big names like Banks, Diablo, Edge, Superchips, SCT, etc causing major egt issues, trans issues, etc. The scarey part is the programmers are causing issues on "level 2" or "tow safe" mode. Why do programmers advertise settings 1-5 or 1-6 when you really can't use anything over 2 or 3 for any real world use?? (and sometimes not even that low setting) I understand that some people race or sled pull with their trucks and they have built up their trucks to handle the short term power bursts, but tell me where in the programmers advertising they let the consumer know that "caution, power level 4,5 and 6 need to have the following mods done to your engine and transmission to make it live". Sorry, fine print in the manual doesn't count, why not put it in magazine and tv ads that expose these products? People buy what they see in ads, not on page 34 of the owners manual. I know it's buyer beware, but this lack of respect to the customers is total B.S.

I personally feel if you want to run your truck at max power all the time or whenever you want, great, thats your right to do so. My problem is that many programmers on the market are lying about what the programmer can do and what it can do to your truck. In my opinion, not telling the consumer all the available information (especially if they know it) is the same as lying or deceptive advertising. Another issue is the same model programmer causing huge differences in same trucks. Its like the quality control between the same programmer is different.

Now I know a lot of you have had good luck with your programmers, and I am happy for you. I just feel that if some guy or gal that hauls a 4 horse trailer up the grapevine or to the mountains and has their programmer on "tow safe" or "level 1" tows without a worry because they have been led to believe that they are in a safe zone, no matter what they do or how hard they step on the throttle. How can any programmer not be tied into a egt gauge as mandatory?? I know some of the more expensive units can be tied in with the egt gauge, but why not all of them. What if that programmer is programmed wrong?? Don't think that can happy?? Hell even GM, Ford and Dodge have screw ups and we all end up with recalls or TSB's. You don't think these programmer companies can make mistakes?? There are lots of variances from a Duramax in model years with engine codes, options, auto vs manual, etc. One little programming mistake can cost you an engine when you think you're in a "safe mode". It's bad enough to damage an engine or tranny when hot dogging in "level 5" but to screw something up when towing the boat to the lake when in a "safe tow mode" just plain sucks. How a company can sell a programmer without a egt and boost gauge requirement is just wrong.

If programming companies had faith in their product and wanted to prove their worth, why not hook up a trailer at "only" 50% the trucks max loaded capacity and lets see it pull up the grapevine outside of Los Angeles. Did it make it to the top without major de-fueling, excessive egts, trans slipping, etc??? If it can only do it in level 2, then level 3,4,5,6 should only be reserved for racing or if all the needed mods have been done to the truck and stated as such. Just make it clear to the customer, thats all I ask. Don't you think you at least deserve that?? At least you can then make your own decision on your trucks mortality.

I challenge the programming companies to take a look at what they are marketing. The technology and ability to make a programmer work while using your truck for its attended purpose is possible. Is it more expensive and will profit margins go down?? Yes, maybe a little at first, but when the majority of contractors, farmers, RV'rs and other that use their trucks to tow or for work only brag about your programmer, you'd be king.

I know that a 150 hp increase looks impressive in ads, but in our case that's like having a playboy model girlfriend in California while serving a life sentence in a Mexican jail. Nice to day dream about, but unreachable in reality.

Sorry for the long rant.

Cheers,
George

More Power
06-28-2006, 08:05
We've always recommended that a set of EGT/boost gauges should be installed before adding power.

If you want an automatic EGT control, the Edge/Attitude would be a good choice. It's safe to tow (no matter the level when using the Edge/Att) because it'll pull back the extra fuel whenever the exhaust temperature meets or exceeds the level you set - the default is 1350. The weak link then becomes your transmission (or the points on your driving record). :)

We know that a 100% stock Duramax can reach 1400 degrees when pushed to its limits on a long steep grade with a 10K trailer. We can assume adding fuel will push that even higher - no matter what tuner, module or power adder is used, and no matter what the ad claims are.

In general, the tuner ad claims of being safe for towing on its lower levels are true, but not for every conceivable situation. This is sort of like the current power/tq ratings for the Duramax, Powerstroke and Cummins. None of them make advertised hp/tq in all gears. The powertrain programming only provides the advertised power in certain gears and in certain conditions. It is my opinion that the ad claims made by the tuner manufacturers (about being safe for towing) probably apply just to typical conditions.

A programmer/tuner can't be tied to EGT, because there is no separate box to connect a pyrometer to.... Only a separate module works for this (like the Edge/Att mentioned earlier).

As far as testing real trucks on a real hill with a real load, that's what our annual Pull-Off (http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/pulloff2006.htm) is all about. We report EGT and ECT, as well as overall performance for most runs.

I've towed an 8K trailer for many thousands of miles with my LB7, and with an extra 90 hp and stock Allison. The reality is that I've rarely met or exceeded my chosen EGT limit of 1400 degrees. To do so would mean I'm driving too fast for conditions.

I'd be in a lot worse trouble than being in a Mexican jail if I had a Playboy model girlfriend in CA.... :D

Jim

Mark Rinker
07-01-2006, 08:57
Probably all the competition for market share drives some manufacturers to push the edge.

Consider the performance market for gassers since the 60's. Carbs, intakes, headers, ignition, turbos, etc. Only implied responsibility for the users. LOTS of blown engines, transmissions, etc.

My opinion: Buyer Beware. If you want MORE POWER, then it only stands to reason that things will break if you don't manage your 'right bug stomper'.

If Duramax engines or trannys start melting down at idle, or cruising empty at 65mph, then I'm with ya on the rant. My guess is most of the broken trucks have been soundly thrashed by owners with big grins on their faces.