PDA

View Full Version : A Summer service reminder !!

16gaSxS
06-28-2006, 09:10
Since Summer is offical now I thought I would take a minute to remind folks that if you have not done so already to take an hour or two and clean out the area between the radiator and A/C condensor.

You have to take the top half of the fan shrowd off. There are a number of 10 mm bolts holding it in place. Becarefull putting them back in not to over tighten as they do break easier than I thought. Once the shrowd is off you can tip the radiator back to get enough room to get a vaccum hose in to suck out all the bugs and weeds that accumulate. If you live and travel in the country you will get more junk in there than those who travel the paved roads only.

The junk in this area hurts cooling TWO WAYS:

1. Reduced air flow throught the radiator which makes it harder for it to dump the heat.

2. Reduced air flow through the radiator reduces heat that the fan clutch recieves which cause it engage at higher engine temp's if at all.

This is time well spent and should be done every year or two depending on where and how you drive. This goes along way in helping keep your truck running cooler.;)

moondoggie
07-01-2006, 14:36
Good Day!

Ditto - this is EXTREMELY sound advice. I couldn't believe the junk I found when I finally got around to doing this.

I also found what my mechanic brother told me: The 1st cooler slows the bugs & such down & then they stick in whatever's immediately behind it. On both our 95's & my daughter's 89 (listed below), I couldn't believe it, especially my daughter's 89, which had been owned by a farmer.* The oil & tranny coolers were essentially clean; the front of the A/C condenser was clean where you could see it, but when I loosened the coolers & tipped them out of the way, the A/C condenser was completely blocked right behind these two coolers.

Blessings!

*I suspect this is because the 95's were highway driven, the 89 spent lots of time hauling stuff into & out of the field, down gravel roads, etc.