PDA

View Full Version : Static noise in cab

ThunderMax
06-28-2006, 09:15
Hello , I was wondering if anybody knew what the little round thing with all the little holes in it above the drivers head is in my Dad's Duramax . It looks like a speaker for hands free driving , but I am not sure . The reason I ask is his has a static noise coming out of it while running and then when you shut it off you can hear it spool down . Any and all info on how to fix this issue would be great . Thank You

jbplock
06-28-2006, 16:42
ThunderMax,

The item you

ThunderMax
06-28-2006, 18:29
Thanks for getting back to me . My Dads truck is an '05 Chev Dually C/C, D/A, 4x4, LT . It dose have On Star and XM if this matters . The noise is electrical and coming from the headliner area we believe above the drivers head from the interior . Believe it or not we have no Chev dealers where we live any longer . We had 3 of them , 1 in our town and 2 about .5 hr away . Now the closest dealers are over an hour away . We live in western Mass. I was hoping to find something out about this problem on this awesome web page if I could without having to do all the driving and killing a day . The GMC dealer in our town will not look at it under warranty . I hope somebody can shed some light on this for me . Thank You

maxdout
06-29-2006, 14:37
If the truck is still under the 3 yr./36k miles and hasn't been modified, the GMC dealer doesn't have any choice but to service his truck. If he's a certified GM service center, he has to honor all their warranties, or at least that's my understanding. Making you drive an hour is just a jack-ass move on his part.

By the way, my air temp sensor makes a little noise. Only noticable when idling with the windows up. Once you're under way, there's enough engine/hwy noise to cancle it out.

Maxdout

ThunderMax
07-01-2006, 05:20
The truck has less than 2k miles on it , basiclly still new . The problem is it's a Chevy ( not really a problem to me ) but the GMC dealer says he dosen't have to warranty Chevy . I think he is right but not sure . This noise is a real loud staticy noise whilre the truck is running at idle and while driving . Then when you turn off the truck it sounds like it is spooling down . Any and all info would be great . Thank You

jbplock
07-01-2006, 06:32
[QUOTE=maxdout]

David Proske
07-01-2006, 12:10
I was told the same thing when I had my 03 GMC and tried to take it to a chevy shop for a warranty repair. They said sorry no can do, but once it's out of warranty we will be glad to rob you blind on non warranty work.

WhiteTruck
07-01-2006, 14:38
It is only used on trucks with the automatic climate control, and as already mentioned, is an interior ambient temp sensor. It has a small fan, which is the source of the noise. It cannot be swiched off. If it is installed incorrectly, in can make noise. They also can get noisy as they age, due to dry/worn bushings.

akrockhound
07-24-2006, 19:07
I had lots of trouble with the Cehv dealer doig good warrantly work so I finally called GM and said I wanted to get my work done at the local GM dealer.

they reluctantly agreed. any GM dealer who says he "can't" work on your Chev is mis-informed.

It is true that GM prefers you to use a Chev dealer for a Chev, GM is legally obligated to fix your car.

DmaxMaverick
07-25-2006, 13:06
GM's default policy is to keep OEM warranty work with the branded shop. The shop can accept off-brand OEM warranty work in some cases, like distance, or specific problems with the branded shop (no Diesel mech, customer complaint process, etc.). Problem is, the off-brand shop is under no obligation to accept the job. They are only "allowed" under certain conditions. The service manager has to work with you to get GM to authorize the repair(s), and many SM's don't want to mess with it. I've had my 2000 Impala, when it was under OEM warranty, serviced at the GMC dealer for warranty work. I told GM customer service the local Chevy dealer was totally incompetent for the repairs needed. Apparently, they agreed with me, and authorized GMC to do it. It's important to have a good working relationship with your service manager, under any circumstance. Talk with the owner, if you have to. Sometimes, all the SM needs is a little assurance he won't get pinched.

Extended warranties are different. Any GM extended warranty can be honored at any GM dealer.