PDA

View Full Version : LLY blowing intercooler hoses

More Power
06-29-2006, 10:44
A member from Virginia is currently traveling through the Northwest with his 2005 LLY 3500 and 5th-wheel travel trailer, and is having a dreadful time with intercooler hoses blowing off - all on the turbo side of the intercooler. Not from the turbo itself, but off the hose joint connecting to the aluminum pipe between the turbo and the IC.

At first, we thought the problem was due to loose clamps, and a dealer in WY installed new clamps and a new bottom hose, along with the recommended IC hose assembly adhesive. This solved the lower hose blowing off problem, but now the hose joint nearer the turbo is blowing off. No amount of clamp tightness can prevent it when the truck is worked hard pulling hills.

The truck is running with a Banks intake system, but no power adders.

Right now, his truck is at the Chevy dealer here in Missoula, MT, where the dealer tech thinks the problem may be due to a partially plugged IC. Parts like these are not stocked, but luckily the dealership will pull the parts off a similar LLY truck they have in inventory (IC, pipes and hoses). I'll shoot some photos and spend some time with his truck later this afternoon. Once the problem has been solved, I'll report the full story.

It helps to know the right people at your local dealership.... :D

Let me know if anyone might have any ideas what could cause this (if its not the IC). I haven't heard of a similar problem before. Thanks...

Jim

Inspector
06-29-2006, 12:36
It also helps to know the right people.
Denny

dieseldummy
06-29-2006, 17:52
I've heard that oil in the intake tract from the closed crankcase vent system can cause such problems.

More Power
06-29-2006, 21:31
It's been a busy afternoon... :) The dealer tech disassembled the intercooler hoses/pipes on the turbo side, and discovered what he thought to be improperly formed pipe ends, which would contribute to the problem of hoses blowing off. So, he installed the aluminum pipe/hoses/clamps from their inventory LLY. Should be OK now, but the real test will be a run up a local hill in a few days on their way out of town. I'll let you know how it goes... The crew at Karl Tyler Chevrolet did a great job getting Ben's truck in and doing the work quickly.

While there, I learned that one of the dealer techs put together a performance Duramax of his own. It's a standard cab 2500HD 4WD with twin stacks... Sounds really good! He'll be at the Pull-Off in July, so I'll be able to get more info then.... :)

Jim

More Power
08-02-2006, 09:47
No further reports of IC hose/pipe problems, so I'm assuming the situation has been resolved... :)

Jim