PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter Leak

Basshopper
01-03-2006, 19:57
I have changed 6 filters and a new filter housing and the seals around the top of the filter are still leaking. I have checked fuel pressure even when running VO and its never over 5lbs. I have a heated VO filter above the D filter mounted on the firewall. Could it be possible that the heated filter with blocking the heat from the engine is weaking the filter seal and allowing it to blow out? Any other speculations on this problem. I am about to remote mount a spin on filter and disconnect the factory one.

Hubert
01-05-2006, 06:51
Does it seal at first then start to leak? Could be your VO "eating" the seal? Isn't that some of the fuss over biofuels too much concentration attacks certain rubber compounds in fuel system?

Basshopper
01-05-2006, 08:55
It does work for a while then the seal blow out the side. I have put a Pressure gauge on it and watched it over all phases of VO and D driving the pressure never goes over 5lbs. This filter never comes in contact with VO it has its own filter seperate. VO does not destroy seals like Biodiesel does. I have my VO filter mounted above the OEM filter and now I am starting to think that trapped heat as well as the heat from the VO filter is making the D filter seal soft and thats what is causeing it to weaken and blow out of the retaining ring. Any other thoughts???