PDA

View Full Version : Harmonic Balancer Installation Tool

mudnutt
06-30-2006, 16:05
Anybody got 1 i can use. Cant get my balancer back on. tried a longer bolt but the balancer only went on so far but now it feels like its just trying to pull the threads out of the crank and the original bolt is still not long enough to use. i have an installation tool but its for big & small chevys

Robyn
06-30-2006, 21:45
OK listen up!!! :0)
Clean the crank up real nice and make sure there are no rough spots or burrs.
Do the same with the balancer.
Now with your handy little propane torch, warm the hub area where it goes on the crank up untill its hot.
Now dont melt it but get it good and hot (hot engine kind of hot) grab with a pair of heavy gloves Ooooops almost forgot, smear some never seaze on the crank. Now stuff the critter on there. I just did my 94 that way and it worked Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

mudnutt
07-01-2006, 15:08
robyn
thanks for the tip. just tried it but was still only able to get the balancer on about half way

tommac95
07-01-2006, 16:56
Mud-
There were posts on this, maybe lost now.
Memory foggy; i think the crank threaded metric, also think you can thread into it a fine (SAE) thread US standard thread rod or bolt with washers behind , that's what i did. But previous posts indicate that a heavy mallet or persuader can be used judiciously. There is a variation in the tolerance between different sets of parts, and occassionally a 'puller' type arrangement is needed.

moondoggie
07-02-2006, 07:51
Good Day!

mudnutt: I started building one of these & didn't finish it, as I didn't need it. The allthread used to pull the balancer onto the crank is welded to a brand-new from-the-dealer balancer bolt, & the nut & flat washers are all there. All that needs to be done to use it is to cut the allthread to the right length & clean up the end of the threads after cutting the allthread.

It's yours to use if you want. Check your private messages: You've got mail. You're in MN, so maybe we're close enough to do a hand-off; otherwise I can ship it to you.

When you're done, I'd like it back, so others can use it too.

Blessings!

mudnutt
07-06-2006, 13:30
moondoogie
thanks for letting me use your installer. unfortunately(sp?) im not any closer to getting the balancer on. before i pull out the guns and start shooting this thing does anybody have any other suggestions?

bob

moondoggie
07-13-2006, 08:08
mudnutt: You've got mail - check your personal messages. Thx!

tommac95
07-15-2006, 07:40
Mud--
If the keyway isn't engaged/lined-up it won't go; also burrs must be removed before progress.

moondoggie
07-17-2006, 09:34
Good Day!

I sure hope mudnutt keeps us updated - I'd be WAY interested in why he's having this trouble.

Blessings!
(signature in previous post)