PDA

View Full Version : hard hot start

BOBG
06-30-2006, 19:13
Hey guys, Need A little help. I have a 96 6.5 turbo. Starts well when cold some white smoke after sitting for long time (weeks). The problem I have is that after running for a few hours and then shutting it off I can not get it to restart. I have fuel (new lift pump) new QH glow plugs with a manual timer makes no difference how long I run plugs still will not start. If I wait 45 mins to an hour starts and runs great. Any Ideas on my next step. (also has no codes).
Thanks
Bob

Robyn
06-30-2006, 21:35
I am suspicious of the PMD.
If you can get your hands on a good driver module and mount it remote, try this and see if it cures your problem.

Bnave95
07-01-2006, 08:02
Not knowing how many miles you have on the Injection pump? A old trick has been when this happens is to poor cool water on the IP then try restarting.
If this works? then the plungers in the IP are worn.

Bnave95
07-01-2006, 08:06
If you can get your hands on a good driver module and mount it remote, try this and see if it cures your problem.
This also could be the problem if you still have the PMD/FSD mounted on the pump. Any stalling issue?

Rot Box
07-01-2006, 08:54
New lift pump, but what about a new OPS :confused: . I had the same problem :D

tommac95
07-01-2006, 17:04
'No start , hot' is classic symptom old FIPump in death throes, as above, particularly if known to start cold.
'Start, Stall' is more likely LP circuit (OPS/LP , filter ,fuel tank cap ) etc.

BOBG
07-02-2006, 06:31
New lift pump, but what about a new OPS :confused: . I had the same problem :D
I opened the fuel drain valve while it was running and it had no ill effect (stalling or any other problem) so I didn't replace the OPS but for a $40.00 doller part I think I will just to rule out that issue. Thanks

BOBG
07-02-2006, 06:33

The FSD is still mounted in the original spot I will pick up one that is known to be working and mount it away from the heat and see how that works. Thanks

Bnave95
07-02-2006, 06:37
I opened the fuel drain valve while it was running and it had no ill effect (stalling or any other problem) so I didn't replace the OPS but for a $40.00 doller part I think I will just to rule out that issue. Thanks
If it's working why replace? I have over 100K on lift pump and ops;)

Bnave95
07-02-2006, 06:44
The FSD is still mounted in the original spot I will pick up one that is known to be working and mount it away from the heat and see how that works. Thanks
May work though when doing so make sure you have a heat sink like a Bata cooler to mount it on.

BOBG
07-12-2006, 18:40
Well I mounted the new fsd and cooler and the truck fired right up very little smoke. drove for an hour, shut it down and restarted it no problem. waited 15 mins and the temp under the hood was hotter then when I shut it down tried to start it and same old problem. poured 4 large glasses of cool water on the IP and the truck fired right up. So I guess I'm going to replace the IP. Thanks for the info and the help.

chickenhunterbob
07-13-2006, 06:33
BOBG

You may want to investigate the extended warrenty for the DS-4 injection pump.

They are warrentied for 11 years 120,000 miles, in your case having a 96 model, you mileage in your signature is well under the 120k threshold.

You have to convince a GM dealer that your pump is toast, and hopefully you can get a new pump for free.

Good luck!

BOBG
07-14-2006, 15:06
Thanks Bob I'll give the local GM dealer a call on Monday and see what I can work out.

Bob

Bnave95
07-20-2006, 02:56
Thanks Bob I'll give the local GM dealer a call on Monday and see what I can work out.

Bob
Just woundering Bob if GM took care of your pump?

BOBG
07-23-2006, 16:19
No dice I tried to work with local dealer and it was more trouble then if was worth. I've just installed a rebuilt unit and the truck is running great. What a pain in the A**. who ever designed the system should be shot. Thanks to everyone who gave me there suggestion with this problem. Saved a bundle over working with the dealer.

Bob

Bnave95
07-24-2006, 03:43
No dice I tried to work with local dealer and it was more trouble then if was worth. I've just installed a rebuilt unit and the truck is running great. What a pain in the A**. who ever designed the system should be shot. Thanks to everyone who gave me there suggestion with this problem. Saved a bundle over working with the dealer.

Bob
That's to bad. Dealer should of work you into a new pump:mad:

chickenhunterbob
07-24-2006, 07:00
Good to hear your truck is running great.

Bad to hear no luck with the dealer on the warrenty.

Sounds like it was an injection pump problem, and providing your truck has been in action for less than 11 years (after July 1995) you should have likely been a candidate for the special warrenty policy.

Depending on the dealership though, from stories I hear on here and other places, you are sometimes against the odds in dealing with certain dealerships on this particular warrenty.

Bnave95
07-24-2006, 08:39
http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/DSwarranty.htm
Should of took this with you.