PDA

View Full Version : new pump = great starts

Patrick m.
07-01-2006, 06:13
The last few years, my truck has been kind of hard to start. It would have to crank over and over, and finally lite off with plenty of white smoke and run rough for several seconds. I did all the usual stuff, glow plugs, fuel filters, got some new injectors (high pops), set the timing a few times and nothing changed.

During this overhaul, i replaced the pump too. the starter barely gets up to speed and the engine lites now. runs rough for a few seconds a little white smoke, all good!

That's not the only difference i have noticed in the "drivability" of the truck that has to be attributed to the pump. Like it is very "touchy" ( i have mentioned this before) the throttle is very sensitive at slow to no speeds, certain bumps can "bounce" the throttle foot causing a repeating lurch until the foot is totally removed from the area.
While at cruise speed, a slight lift of the throttle as to maintain speed on a very little down hill stretch will result in the engine returning to idle, the engine would do this before, but it required a major lift in the throttle.

just thought i would share some quirks that are at the least unexpected.

On a side note, im 1/4 tank from finishing the second full tank on new engine and mileage is off a good bit, about 12.6 mpg. Average with my normal habits was 16mpg (a good boy could get 18-19)
guess break-in, should improve.