PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil filter

david
07-02-2006, 16:15
I bought the amsoil by pass system, after about 4000 miles the big filter blew a gasket and i lost all my oil!!!!!

Has this happened to any one before????

I called the company and they were trying to say i put it on wrong.
I still have not gotten the email with the form yet.

I am thinking maybe i made the wrong choice!!!!!

David-n5vxu

LanduytG
07-02-2006, 19:17
Davre
You need to give me a call so I can see who you talked with. I will get it taken care of.

Greg

david
07-03-2006, 10:16
Thanks

David

spongebob
07-04-2006, 14:35
ive noticed that it takes two men and a boy to get my filters off.

is this because of high oil psi down there?

jbplock
07-04-2006, 16:09
ive noticed that it takes two men and a boy to get my filters off.

is this because of high oil psi down there?

Yes, high pressure has been previously given as an explanation for the difficulty in breaking loose the oil filter

david
02-05-2007, 14:02
Well i have found out what was wrong and i am not happy!!!!!!!!!!
I talked to amsoil first and hit a brick wall ,then i thought greg was going to help.
So i
sent it greg and he sent it amsoil.
Well they sent it back to him and he sent it to me with not a letter or any
thing to explane.
I finelly got greg on the phone.
As greg told me on the phone the center adpter for the large filter was on backwards.
In all my 60 yrs (40 of whitch i have been working on engines) i have notseen an adapter screw on backwards.
I lost 5 gal of oil and almost blew my engine twice.
I was sent the unit back with filters on it( i think the old ones )and i don't know if the adpter has been fixed.
I had asked for my money back but i guess we all know the answer to that.
I will NEVER do bisness with greg or amsoil EVER.
Oh by the way i have one oil bypass sys. for sale cost $260 will sell for $200
or best offer!!!!!!
David

MaxACL
02-05-2007, 17:23
David,

I've had my dual set up for several years and never had any trouble. I do prop one leg up on the rear axle when tightening the filters, at least till I got a hernia on the airplane once. Are you sure you put enough twist on it durring the install?

Greg is a stand-up guy and I hate to see something like this happen. Let us know what becomes of it.

Mike

Tough Guy
02-05-2007, 20:03
Well i have found out what was wrong and i am not happy!!!!!!!!!!
I talked to amsoil first and hit a brick wall ,then i thought greg was going to help.
So i
sent it greg and he sent it amsoil.
Well they sent it back to him and he sent it to me with not a letter or any
thing to explane.
I finelly got greg on the phone.
As greg told me on the phone the center adpter for the large filter was on backwards.
In all my 60 yrs (40 of whitch i have been working on engines) i have notseen an adapter screw on backwards.
I lost 5 gal of oil and almost blew my engine twice.
I was sent the unit back with filters on it( i think the old ones )and i don't know if the adpter has been fixed.
I had asked for my money back but i guess we all know the answer to that.
I will NEVER do bisness with greg or amsoil EVER.
Oh by the way i have one oil bypass sys. for sale cost $260 will sell for $200
or best offer!!!!!!
David

WOW! :confused:

Why are you upset with Greg? It sounds like he was the only person willing to help you....

Chris

david
02-05-2007, 20:42
OK here it is as i see it!!
Greg told me that he saw the problem but sent it to amsoil any way.
On the phone it was his hohum attatude and not sending any note with the returned box. Sorry my spelling is bad today!!!
greg knew i wanted my money back plus no help with any of the lost oil.
The biggest reason is he told me the filters did'nt keep the oil all that clean!!!!
He said it would keep the grit down but would still look dirty and i wanted a good system.
I think i have been fair in my words and repeted them as i heard them.

David

JoeyD
02-07-2007, 18:46
Is it the dual remote mount with the bypass? I have the same system on my truck and never an issue. I put my filters on tight and they come off hard but a strap wrench makes it easy as pie.
They told you the adapter in the center of the bypass that you screw the filter onto was in backwards? I want to say this comes all assembled does it not? Any pics of the setup?

Just a FYI, I have been dealing with Greg for some time now, I got my bypass from him and never an issue with anything. Service was always great.
Maybe it's out of his hands

Kennedy
02-07-2007, 21:14
From what I gather the mounting bolts that attach the filter head to the bracket were installed nut down. The excess length of the bolts allows the filter rim to contact the bolts prohibiting proper sealing.

Whe I put mine on my '96 I encountered this. You need to put the bolt with the head down. It's not an ideal setup, but not too hard to figure out.

david
02-09-2007, 08:51
Well i just checked the instructions and i did'nt see any thing about making shure whitch way they screw in !!!!!!!!

The four bolts where not a problem.

David

I will sell this unit for $200 obo

Kennedy
02-11-2007, 17:30
It's a pretty simple system. A head with a center post that you screw the filter onto. Now if installed so that the rim of the element contacts the end of the mounting bolt(s) it's going to leak.

LanduytG
02-11-2007, 21:23
Well now lets tell things the way they really are here. Dave put the bolts that hold the bracket onto the filter head in so the nuts were between the filter head and the filter. This means when you turn the filter onto the head that the top of the filter hits the bolts and will not tighten up. If the filter is not tight it will blow out the gasket plain and simple. I'm not at fault for how it was put together. Further more that kit was bought in May of 2006 and he sends it to me in Dec of 2006. I know of no business that will refund your money after 6 months unless the unit was defective. As for keeping the oil clean it does and oil analysis will show that. Just because the oil if black does not mean its junk. So I don't see how you can be so upset over something that was your fault to start with. You are also telling the story the way you heard it and not the way it was told. I'm now to the point that I don't care if you want to do business with me or not, because I don't PITA like you anyway.

Greg

david
02-14-2007, 16:56
You did not say any thing about the bolts,just the adpter was on wrong!!!!
Since i am disabled it took a while to get it on!!!!!!
I only had 3500 miles on it when it blew the first time,then i put the fram filter on an it blew.
I almost blew a $12000 engine twice!!!!!
I did not say it was JUNK but i don't trust it now.
I just think the offer of some help with the oil i lost (5 gal ) would have gone a long way to custumer relations .
So since you and amsoil don't care about your customers that's fine and you don't have to worry i will not ever buy another amsoil prouduct!!!!

oh yes you did say it would not keep the oil real clean ,it would still get dark but it would clean the grit out !!!!!

David

mschuyler
02-15-2007, 12:04
You're ranting, dude. I think Greg explained it pretty well. You screwed up. Take some responsibility for your actions. You're coming across as disorganized and emotional.

david
02-15-2007, 17:19
No i am not ,i am just making shure the story accuate .
It does keep changing!!!

JoeyD
02-18-2007, 10:27
All you need to do is install it correctly and you will be happy with it. Crap happens and a simple bolt on the wrong way f'ed it all up. Fix it, keep it and enjoy.