PDA

View Full Version : Engine damage

IndyDoug
07-03-2006, 09:09
I am new to diesel engines, but can tell I have a serious problem. I recently had a bad oil leak (by-pass filter hose) that caused the engine to stumble and die on my wife. After towing it home, fixing the leak and refilling the oil (several quarts low), I was able to start it, but it makes a terrible racket even at idle. From what I have researched, I suspect it is piston slap.

I am looking for advice on a reputable diesel engine mechanic in the Indianapolis area (I am not sure the shop where I took my gas-engine vehicles is knowledgeable enough about diesels.) Any advice is appreciated.

After I get a diagnosis, I will probably be back for recommendations (rebuild, replace, upgrade, etc.)

ronniejoe
07-03-2006, 09:11
Give me a call. I'm sure I could help you diagnose the problem.

grape
07-04-2006, 12:04
lets see, i ran this engine out of oil and now it knocks.....................yeah it might be piston slap from the rod bearings being gone.

ronniejoe
07-04-2006, 12:13
Welcome back, Grape.;)

Robyn
07-04-2006, 13:26
I have seen the aftermath of a couple rigs that lost oil.
The only recomendation I can make is to yank the engine out and find another good used one to drop in. I really would hesitate to go for a rebuild as its going to be a spendy one after a meltdown.
Sorry to hear of such a loss. My room mate of years past did that to my Olds Cutlass Diesel one night. The oil pump shaft stripped and she ran the thing with the oil light on and engine screaming for help for 27 miles before the valiant little creature finally sucumbed.
I did a post mortem the next day and it was toast.
I cried a tear or two as I had just purchased the engine from a local car lot with a dead olds crumpled around it a few months earlier.

Sorry to hear of your loss but there really is only one way to proceed and that is to either replace it or tear it down and expect to have a hefty bill to repair allthe damage.

Robyn hangs her head in sorrow for the poor 6.5 that gave its all.

DaveNY
07-04-2006, 13:30
Robyn hangs her head in sorrow for the poor 6.5 that gave its all.[/QUOTE]

A MOMENT OF SILENCE........................................... .........................

Robyn
07-04-2006, 21:22
Thank you reverend Dave for the prayer.
The poor little diesel that could, did and is now done! :0(

john8662
07-04-2006, 23:02
IndyDoug,

From the sound of things, it's looking kind of grim. The good news is that you're willing at this point to turn this around and upgrade to a better engine.

You'll have to forgive our good friend "Grape", he's a little lacking on his people skills sometimes.

What he was trying to say is that the knocking noise is a result of bearings that now have excessive clearance due to accelerated wear because of no oil. Basically the bearings (either rod or main bearings) need to be replaced and the crankshaft will likely need to be turned to correct any imperfections left by the dying bearings.

Bad rod bearings can also allow the rod/piston configuration to smack the heads and valves above, because of the excessive clearance, making a knocking sound.

Piston slap is usually present in engines that have a lot of cylinder wear, which can be the direct result of overheating or galling pistons where wear is accelerated on both the cylinder walls and the piston skirts themselves. I don't think this is the problem in this engine.

I guess the main idea here is clearance is a BIG issue in these engines, a little out, and we've got problems.

But, as Robyn stated, it'll likely get spendy to take the engine you have apart and rebuild, but what else are you gonna do? If you've got a good block when you get things apart, you have a good starting point to do whatever you want to do with it. It's pretty much a given at any time of a rebuild that you're gonna have to bore the cylinders, just the norm.

RJ is close to you location wise, he'll have the resources to get you back and rolling again, even if you can't find a resourcefull Diesel mechanic nearby.

IndyDoug
07-05-2006, 11:35
Thanks to all for the feedback (even grape). I'm still researching my options. I'm sure I'll have more questions soon.

Cowracer
07-05-2006, 12:59
My wife burned up the motor in my beloved 77 K-5 blazer a long time ago when she continued on her merry way after the lower radiator hose came off, so I can feel your pain. Unless you have access to a backhoe or a blast furnace, killing the wife will only make things worse, not better.

Trust me.;)

If'n I was in your shoes, I would call RonnieJoe or Penninsular for a new mill (in that order). Spend the money, get a good one and only cry once.

Tim

BTW, her excuse was that the red 'temp' light never came on. My response of "But it has gauges, not lights" didnt register with her.

IndyDoug
07-06-2006, 05:40
Thanks, Tim. Already called Ron. He'll be stopping by today for a post mortem examination.

BTW - the wife is ready to kill me - the problem originated with the by-pass oil filter I installed on her truck :eek:

Cowracer
07-06-2006, 07:03
Thanks, Tim. Already called Ron. He'll be stopping by today for a post mortem examination.

BTW - the wife is ready to kill me - the problem originated with the by-pass oil filter I installed on her truck :eek:

oh. just remember to hide the keys to the backhoe for a while...

Tim