PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Case Problems

KompressorMan
07-03-2006, 18:09
Hello to all. It's been a long time since I've contributed anything to the forum. I have a 2001 GMC Duramax/Allison with 160,000 miles. It's had a few problems along, mostly fuel related which have all been satisfactorily taken care of by the dealer. This time the dealer went beyond what I thought was reasonable.
My transfer case went out. The dealer said it was completely dry. A new case and labor was just less than $2,000.00 and a 2-3 week delivery. I started thinking about what was the best course of action. My first thought was to talk to the service center where it has been taken care of since new. I asked them if it was within the normal service to check the fluid level in the transfer case. The guy I've known all my life and owner called the grease monkey on the carpet. I'm still not sure if he'd ever checked it because he was about to go to a place he didn't want to be in with the owner. In other words, he may have lied out of it.
Anyhow, I started an internet search of a rebuilt unit and started getting a hint that there might be a porosity issue with these units. Come to find out, the dealership mechanic said he found a pin hole. Now I had some ammo to work with. I called the service rep at the dealership with my info and he said he'd look into it.
Darned if he didn't call me back and said GM would replace the transfer case under warranty if I'd pay for the labor. $315.00 and less than a week I was back on the road. This post is really nothing more than to openly thank Jim Hardman GMC/Pontiac in Gainesville, Georgia and Chris for a great job.
Herb

conway
07-03-2006, 18:48
Nice to hear positive news.

spongebob
07-04-2006, 14:40
WOW.... thats almost unheard of..

dmaxalliTech
07-16-2006, 21:38
Unfortunatly, its not unheard off. It appears to be a quite common problem that plagues the magnesium case units found pretty much from 1998 and up on most GM trucks.

The problem is as simple as 2.00 clip breaking.

The clip holds the pump in the case from much movement and when it breaks, the pump is free to move and eventually wears a hole in the case causing the leak. If it goes to far, the leak can drain the case and you may never even know it, at this point, its usually beyond repair.

There is a fix for this problem though.

chipper
07-17-2006, 18:49
Unfortunatly, its not unheard off. It appears to be a quite common problem that plagues the magnesium case units found pretty much from 1998 and up on most GM trucks.

The problem is as simple as 2.00 clip breaking.

The clip holds the pump in the case from much movement and when it breaks, the pump is free to move and eventually wears a hole in the case causing the leak. If it goes to far, the leak can drain the case and you may never even know it, at this point, its usually beyond repair.

There is a fix for this problem though.

dmaxalliTech,

Can you tell us, what is the fix, does all the shops do it, & how pricy is it?

Jomar
07-17-2006, 19:46
Yeah, don`t just tell us there is a fix without telling us what it is. PLEASE !!

Jomar

mattb5150
07-19-2006, 22:20
That is unheard of, the dealer replacing something out of warranty. Perhaps since it sounds like the fact that you had the truck serviced there regularly was the tipping point. I had the same t-case leak and the dealer told me I should have bought an extended warranty, of course I do all of my own servicing too.

I paid my local GMC dealer $100 to JB weld my case, thats the GM protocol fix. They got it wrong twice, second time was free because first time didn't hold more than a year. I have since used cold weld on it and it has stopped leaking.

Duramax D
08-03-2006, 22:23
Hello, I'm working with GM on this exact problem right now and was wondering if there are any more success stories out there. If there is anyone else that has had GM cover this repair please post ASAP. Thank you in advance!