PDA

View Full Version : Worth it to buy Blue Tag IP as spare $50.???

96turboSuburban
01-04-2006, 17:43
A guy on Ebay is selling blue tag pumps for $50. They are take offs from running vehicles (supposedly). s it worth my time and money to invest in one of these as a spare/backup unit for my 1996 with 200K???
Thanks!!

ueckebes
01-04-2006, 18:36
hello 96.i've seen the pumps you are speakin of,i debated over the same thing.i went with another suppliers pump[rebuilt with warranty,and pmd] for about 675.oo bucks. i felt like if the guy new the pumps were working,he would know he could easily sell them for about 5 times that on ebay.if memory serves me,he also handles rebuilt pumps.something just didnt feel right,but then again the pmd boxes were still on them,that alone would have been worth a 50.00 chance. anyway,my 96 is down with a bad pump,[i think]and i dont have time for swaping out a pump that may or may not work,especially for the hassle involved in swaping out the eletronic pumps.anywho,if it turns out my pump is good,i will put it up for sale cheap.btw,i noticed the eletronic 6.5 pumps have no timeing marks on them for aligment.can any one point me in the direction of some instructions on timeing one? PLEASE....

96turboSuburban
01-04-2006, 19:02
Thanks Jimmie!
I tnd to agree with you totally and as you considered buying his but.... Armed with the new info you have graciously provided I will also abstain from the 'roll of the dice' and buy a fully warranted unit if mine fails.
Sorry to hear you're having problems.
Feel free to email me 'toddhbrooks@hotmail.com'
i you find your old one is good and you want to let it go...
Todd

gvig
01-04-2006, 21:04
I bought an ip from a seller on ebay. It was a warranty takeoff. Had the FSD on it also. Total cost, shipping included was $77.00

Upon arrival I took it to a local Stanadyne dealer, had him put it on the Stanadyne computer on the test stand and check it out. Initially he tried to discourage me but I insisted. First he opened it up to see if there were any metal particles loose. Upon finding none he relented and ran it, even let me stand by and explained each test to me. It checked well within new specs in all catagories. Cost for the test was something like $65.00

I put it on sure it would run without any problems and it continues to perform well. Had it timed at a local diesel shop with a Tech 2 for $40.

Total cost installed was $182, IIRC Quite a bit below the cost of a rebuild and a vast difference from a reman at $1,300 (quoted locally).

The FSD was good, a year ago it started to give me some problems, I took it off, popped the transister covers, tightened the hold down nuts. No problems for the last year. I carry two spares anyway. FSD is mounted on a homebuilt heat sink on the intake. I am up to my eyeballs attempting to make a socket for an harness extension, won't give up but Kennedy's extension is looking cheaper each day I work on it.

It is a gamble but the ip risk can be minimized. I have another ebay special waiting for when this one goes away. It too will go to Stanadyne first and then onto the rig.

96turboSuburban
01-04-2006, 23:38
Thanks George!
Looks like you got a good deal and were very smart to have the IP checked carefully.
I guess these can go either way, just the luck of the draw and if the $50. gets me a good FSD or one I could limp home with then it's not such a bad deal after all.
Worth considering.........
Thanks again for the info!!

ueckebes
01-05-2006, 06:29
looks like you may have a source for a good cheap pump.would you mind saying who it was on ebay?i had asked the local pump rebuilder if he could take my pump and test it[its been rebuilt before and has less than 50k on it from prev owner]but they told me the eletronic 6.5 pumps were a little more tricky to trouble shoot and test.they quoted me 950.00 bucks to rebuild mine,i said no thanks.told them i have a 5.9 cummins and most of the needed conversions parts that would replace the 6.5 ,before i spent that kind of money on another pump.[didnt tell them i dot have time to convert right now].truck has less than 100k on it,and the pump i have on the way will be number 3.

Mainous
01-08-2006, 06:13
I too watch for used pumps on Ebay. I only look at 5521 pumps, which is the latest version, and always ask for a date of manufacture. The newer the better. Generally these pumps are good and replaced only because of a bad PMD.

My last purchase was one dated 8/2004. I got it for $72 including shipping. I bought it 3/05. I too take mine to a Stanadyne shop. When I got this pump it looked brand new and was obviously bad out of the box. Upon testing it had no output on one cylinder. I brought it back home and removed the output nozzles. One check valve was flipped upside down. Corrected the problem and had it tested and calibrated. Now I have a new spare.