PDA

View Full Version : hmm I dont think I have fuel filters

1toncrew
07-03-2006, 21:28
hey all, In one of my post I ask about a fuel leak. Which I still havent fixed:p I was told it was the fuel filter by the location I gave. Now im new to diesel's and the info I got would be correct. I looked In the Haynes techbook. It shows a fram filter fuel filter as the secondary fuel filter and if this were a 94 the primary would be on the firewall. Well the primary isnt there but the secondary unit is but has no filter on it and looks like it has been bypassed completely:confused:

I followed the lines from the tank and found One thing but looks to be rather small to be a filter. I've put less then 2k on the truck but I dont want to run it without the filters.
So to the point this is a 89 with a 6.5 in it can I mount up new filters? Sorry if this sounds confusing but im pretty lost And very green to all this.
Ill get some pics tommorow

gerry1
07-03-2006, 22:21
Since this is a conversion its hard to say what did or did not get transfered. The fuel filter on a 94 TD is mounted to the intake center of the engine just behind the upper intake. In other words its in the middle towards the back of the engine. The metal dome is actually the top of the fuel filter. A plastic threaded ring holds the filter to the housing. The knob on top is used to vent air from the filter.
Hope this helps
Gerry

1toncrew
07-03-2006, 23:28
cool will check it out in the morning, thanks for the info:D

Robyn
07-04-2006, 07:39
If the filter is not on the rig, do yourself a favor and get a nice Racor fuel filter water seperator unit and bolt on the inner fender some handy spot and hook up the hoses.
The little dixie cup factory unit is a joke. Diesels love clean fuel and its a necessity to keep the pump and nozzles alive. water will ruin the fuel system in short order and dirt is no better. CLEAN is the order of the day for the fuel system.
The factory systems have very little room for a slug of water before it gets to the engine. The Racor has a bowl you can see into and a drain to easliy get rid of the water.

Robyn

tommac95
07-05-2006, 19:31
In fairness to Stanadyne, the OEM fuel conditioner is a nifty multifunction device which may well need renewal. If you're cheap you might do OK to get a replacement OEM conditioner from a late '90s rig (specify plastic bottom cap); Avant Salvage sells them complete for $25; call Peninsular Engines too to see if they have any forsale. That said, the filter is almost impossible to install, so always have a spare when you open it up.

Be advised that the 6.2 engines came equiped with both a primary, and secondary filters (!) , but the 6.5 is fitted only with the single cannister which filters, preheats, and senses water in the fuel. The 6.5 filter assy bolts to the top of the intake manifold , sitting down between the intake tubes to the rearmost (7/8) cylinders. A good arrangement would be the 6.2 primary filter followed by a 6.5 fuel conditioner.... better something by Racor as Robyn advises above.