PDA

View Full Version : Oil in intake manifoild

torpreda
07-04-2006, 13:28
Finally today I found the guts to get my tools and start taking my -99 Tahoe 6.5TD engine apart, Yesterday I ordered a SOL-D and courious as I am I just could'nt wait untill I got it before starting.

To get to the injection pump I took off the intake leading from the turbo to the manifoild, and noticed a thick oily substance on the inside of the manifoild:eek: Any suggestions what this could be? could not se any oil in the turbine housing or tube lesding from it...

-Tore-

Robyn
07-04-2006, 21:05
The crankcase vent system dumps into the air intake of the turbo and they do get sloppy. The CDR valve on the right hand valve cover could be in need of replacement. A new one will help with the oil pull over issue.
You have a Sol D coming?? why are you tearing into the engine?
You dont need to remove anything to use the Sol D.
All you need to do is unplug the harness from the PMD and fish it up from the side of the Pump area and the Sol D comes with its own harness that plugs right in to the one on the rig.

Hope this helps
Many smiles and a zillion miles
Robyn

john8662
07-05-2006, 11:27
Please update your profile with your vehicle information, this will need to be in the "signature" portion, that helps us all know what you're working on!

I see from the post that you're working on a 99 tahoe. Tahoes only came equipped with the Vin "S" engine, or LD 6.5. The bad news is that this engine is equipped with an EGR valve on it. The EGR system allows raw exhaust to be re-intruduced into the intake to be burned again for cleaner emissions. The black guk in the intake is the direct result of a slightly oily intake (normal because these engines burn their blow-by) and the Sut sticking to that oil, leading to the thicker desposits you're seeing.

Unfortunatly, it's normal...

As for the Sol-D install, you really don't have to remove the intake to get at the connector of the existing PMD/FSD, but it does take some still at getting to that connector, especially on the 96+ engines.

torpreda
07-05-2006, 14:13
Thanks for the information.. The reason why I dug into the engine was pure curiousity... I just could'nt let it rest in peace... and when i lifted off the intake manifoild, to clean it up, I noticed a loose screw lying beneath the pump housing, it had fallen out from a square plate just beneath the PMD!! Think i'll put it into place before reassemblying... :D