PDA

View Full Version : Fluidamper?

Rot Box
07-04-2006, 17:05
What do you guys think about Fluidamper's new harmonic balancer for the 6.5's? To me it sounds like a long awaited solution to a big problem on these trucks. Anyone running one yet? If not I'll probably be the guinnea pig.

Dimsdale
07-04-2006, 18:18
I finally found it under "Duramax" oddly enough.

$470 bucks is pretty steep though, but probably worth it for the peace of mind and performance.

I would look forward to your experience as a "guinea pig!"

DA BIG ONE
07-05-2006, 03:43
Have a part number for the 6.5 damper, or?

KallyI
07-05-2006, 10:37
Here's a link to Fluidamper's website:

http://www.fluidampr.com/DURAMAX.htm

trbankii
07-05-2006, 13:16
Couldn't find that part number on Summit's website, but Summit's website prices compared to Fluidampr's website prices are roughly $50 to $75 cheaper. What does a "standard" harmonic balancer cost?

There was also a thread six months ago (or more) when this was announced as a possibility. A number of people questioned whether they would go with the Fluidampr even if it did become available. Have to see if I can turn up that thread...

Ok, turned it up: http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=1488&highlight=fluidampr

trbankii
07-05-2006, 13:19
Here was another thread: http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=22740&highlight=fluidampr

Both Kennedy and Grape expressed misgivings about Fluidampr without much in the way of details.

JoeyD
07-05-2006, 13:25
Only bad thing I have heard or read about was using them in cold climates where the silicon would become hard and not function as designed. I have no clue if this is true or not but thats the only bad thing I have seen.

Rot Box
07-06-2006, 23:04
I can see why the climate thing might be an issue around here it can get -20+ below, but I am still going to investigate. I have lost sleep just thinking about issues with the stock balancer.

DA BIG ONE
07-07-2006, 02:39
Consider, all the years this fluid damper has been around through all kinds of weather. So I find it hard to understand that a product designed to dampen rotating mass would have an issue that could potentally damage it and remain on the market w/o recall especially since it is such a popular product.

john8662
07-07-2006, 07:14
Hold your breath guys. I don't think that this product it quite ready.

They are making a balancer for the 6.5, but from what I've heard it's still being "tested" by at least one of the venders on here. I suspect if you order it, you'll be on the long list awaiting them to finish production.

Rot Box
07-07-2006, 07:52
I talked to one of there R&D guys back in September, and he said they have been working on it for a while, but how long they have been testing it on an actual vehicle I just don't know :confused: I'll contact them again and try to find some more info. I keep wanting this to be a good idea, but for the price mabey I'll hold off untill someone else gives it a shot.