PDA

View Full Version : Quick hard surge, doesn't die, FSD?

AndyL
11-25-2003, 09:11
Only when cold, or only soon after starting I get a quick, short surge. It is like the engine dies but doens't actually. Maybe lasts less than 0.5 seconds. This is on my 99 6.5 with 55k miles. I don't get any SES codes.

Cowracer
11-25-2003, 10:31
possibly the glow plugs cycling? on my 94 the engine pulls down noticably when the plug cycle when you first start it up. Does your glow plug light work? Any other lights dim when this happens?

Tim

AndyL
11-25-2003, 10:39
I am pretty sure the GPs are done cycling by then but that is a good idea and I will check next time I drive it. The GP light does work.

charliepeterson
11-25-2003, 20:06
Originally posted by AndyL:
Only when cold, or only soon after starting I get a quick, short surge. It is like the engine dies but doens't actually. Maybe lasts less than 0.5 seconds. This is on my 99 6.5 with 55k miles. I don't get any SES codes. You could have alittle air in the system when shut down causing the "hick up". Pull the fuel filter the next time before starting up. Fuel quality could contribute, try some fuel additive.

kowsoc
11-25-2003, 20:32
Check if the lift pump is working. If it isn't this would also allow air into the fuel system.

Barry Nave
11-26-2003, 02:05
Maybe she's sobering up from last night ;)
Andy, your not to far from where I live.
I have always used Power Service fuel addative from Auto Zone,WallMart for the last 5 Yrs.
Never have to drain water from fuel filter bowl as there never is any water. Never had a Gel related problem or fuel system problem.
Never had to replace a lift pump and Power Service is not at all costly.
Winter has it's toll on diesel in area's as summer has it's.
To me the battery's are the one most important item not to be taken lightly.
This has always been a issue for those that snow plow at night. Our Alt. are more of a battery matainer than a charger.
The snow plows guys should add another set of battery's in cases in the bed then put a auto battery charger on them during rest redface.gif

AndyL
11-26-2003, 02:56
Thanks, I just replaced the lift pump about 1 week ago. Maybe I introduced a small air leak.

I also had to fill up yesterday, we will see if maybe it was a tank of bad fuel, and I always use Power Services from wally on each tank.