PDA

View Full Version : Transmission cover replacement

jlowder
07-05-2006, 03:50
I have ordered a Mag-Hytec deep transmission cover for my Allison 1000. I have never removed the stock pan, or seen the underside of the transmission with the pan removed. I know that with the new pan, I need the Allison deep transmission filter.
How is this deep filter replaced? Does it screw from below, held by a bolt, pull-out/push-in? I would like to know prior to starting this project.
I would appreciate someones guidance.

77TransAm
07-05-2006, 22:02
All you should need for this project is the new deep filter, as the pan gasket is re-usable.

Once you've drained the trans and removed the pan, you'll see the original filter hanging off the bottom. It is not held in by anything other than the friction of the seal in the bore. (It actually rests on the pan when the pan is installed.)

To remove the filter, just pull it straight down (expect another quart or so of fluid to come gushing out when you pull it out). If the seal did not come out on the neck of the filter, just stick the filter back up in the hole and cock it towards the front of the trans a little bit and pull it out again. Usually the seal will stick to the neck of the filter and come out with this procedure, although it might take a time or two to get the hang of it. Try to avoid using a screwdriver or anything else to pry the seal out; it will almost always come out on the filter using the method described above.

Now just use some clean tranny fluid to lube the seal that should already be on the new filter, and slide the filter up into the hole.
Install the new pan, fill it with fluid, and you should be ready to go.

jlowder
07-06-2006, 20:18
Thanks for the information. I'm planning a Mag-Tech replacement for the rear axle and deep dish transmission cover tomorow. I'd prefer no surprises with these upgrades.

Heartbeat Hauler
07-06-2006, 22:47
Keep in mind the filter is actually a spin on version located forward of the trans. The piece inside the pan is more of a screen to keep the big chunks of whatever out. Also, with the additional length it has been reported that this screen can "wiggle" itself loose. I have read about a bracket that is available to hold this screen in place.....I just can't remember who has it...dang! Anyways, I don't know that this is a big issue or that it happens all the time, but forewarned is forearmed.
JP