PDA

View Full Version : Code PO299 - Low Turbo Boost

Black95TD
07-05-2006, 04:21
Last night when I stopped for coffee, noticed engine light on when I restarted. Seemed to run OK under light load. Under heavy load i.e. hard throttle in 2nd noticed lots of noise but very poor acceleration. Checked code this AM and got PO299 - low turbo boost. That adds up. Will go to dealer ASAP since truck has 15K.

Just so I'm a little better informed, what would be the likely cause of this? When it set the code, I had been running 35 - 55 mph, unloaded, 75 degrees, light rain, hilly terrain but light throttle. Temp, oil pressure etc. all normal. Code appeared when I restarted.

Thanks in advance for any info on this!

More Power
07-05-2006, 13:05
If you're running an oiled gauze or oiled foam aftermarket air filter element, I'd clean the MAF sensor before visiting the dealership. It's not a warranty situation if the dealer tech needs to clean your MAF sensor.

Otherwise, the problem could be due to the VNT turbocharger vane position sensor, vane position actuator or related circuitry. The dealer tech can use a Tech II scan tool to perform an easy test of the system.

Jim

Kennedy
07-05-2006, 14:16
The 299 is one of those odd codes that seems to pop up here and there. Seems to be more common in hot conditions. My guess is that maybe the location of the bost sensor (down in the heat) is an issue. I've also heard of guys having engine harnesses replaced to cure this.

Black95TD
07-05-2006, 16:36
Thanks for the replies. I did search the forum and could not find anyting on PO299. This particular dealership - Clyde Chev in Rockville CT took very good care of me for the 10 years that I had the 95. They only have one diesel tech but he seems to figure it out. My appt is Mon. and I'll update the thread once I know what happened. Sure is down on power and the bumper is black on the end by the pipe. I was 160 mi. from home and had no choice but to run it. Still got excellent fuel mileage - didn't overheat or act up in any way.

Black95TD
07-12-2006, 10:38
Verdict is a bad MAF sensor. None available locally and on special order. Light went off just before going to dealer (naturally) but he found a PO101 code MAF or VAF CKT range/perf. As soon as I got in to go home, light came back on. Performance stinks but mileage is still OK. Haven't heard of too many bad MAF sensors?

poppie
12-05-2010, 21:37
My engine light came on the day after I had the # 2 and #7 injector circuit wires replaced.Code is PO101 and PO299.Towing my 5th wheel back from Death Valley.Some tough grades .Did great but RPMs under 2000 and in 5th gear ,she smoked a lot and EGT hit 1250 a lot.Not normal.I have the Edge Juice Attitude and the AFE filter.When I got home my mechanic changed my fuel filter and said it was some what plugged up.He said that if the engine light came back on he would clean the MAF sensor.I bought a code reader and the code is PO101/PO299 again.I cleaned the sensor today and cleared the code but it came right back on.Truck runs great and does not smoke .Of course I am not towing right now.I just joined the Dieselpage and wish I had a year ago when I bought my 2005 crew cab.I wonder how replacing your sensor turned out for you.I know it's been awhile.I cleaned my air filter and the MAF but engine light still on.I think I'll wait awhile and see if it goes out again.When my #2 injector circuit acted up in Death Valley ,I thougth it was the end of it all.Rattled to beat the band.I sat for 3 hours waiting for the tow truck and when I started the truck up to turn the wheels straight for the flat bed ,everything was fine .Engine light was off and the engine sounded fine.Towed it to Nevada anyways .The dealer said he knew the problem and that it would happen again.It's just funny that the day after I got it back the two codes came up.I'm out a bunch of bucks so far.I need to get this thing cleared up.Thanks for any help.Poppie