PDA

View Full Version : A/C Condensate Drain Location?

Vivayo
07-05-2006, 05:11
We've had hot, humid weather the last few days. When I got to work this morning, the passenger floorboard was saturated. Carpet looked like a wet sponge. Water (it was more than just moisture) was cold, so it had to be the A/C condensate. Sopped it up with 2 rolls of paper towels, at least most of it. Very poor lighting in the garage (I'm on the bottom level of a 3-level underground garage), but I couldn't readily see where the drain is under the truck. Naturally, it's completely plugged, so there's no moisture dripping to give me a clue. I searched the archives and only found one thread related to A/C drains, and it's for a '99, which it likely different than my '02 HD...any hints/tips greatly appreciated.
Thaks,
Charlie

Heartbeat Hauler
07-05-2006, 08:30
We've had hot, humid weather the last few days. When I got to work this morning, the passenger floorboard was saturated. Carpet looked like a wet sponge. Water (it was more than just moisture) was cold, so it had to be the A/C condensate. Sopped it up with 2 rolls of paper towels, at least most of it. Very poor lighting in the garage (I'm on the bottom level of a 3-level underground garage), but I couldn't readily see where the drain is under the truck. Naturally, it's completely plugged, so there's no moisture dripping to give me a clue. I searched the archives and only found one thread related to A/C drains, and it's for a '99, which it likely different than my '02 HD...any hints/tips greatly appreciated.
Thaks,
Charlie
I had this happen in my '96 Caprice LT1 on my way from IN to Texas. The problem was not a plugged condensate line it was that the line came loose at an elbow and rather than going down the drain line it emptied into the passenger side floor board. The rear pass. floorboard had over 3" of standing water in it....:eek: Anyways, on my '01 3500 the puddle from the drain line appears about 12" behind the pass side control arms where it mounts to the frame. I know that's vague, but I haven't specifically looked for it.
JP

Vivayo
07-05-2006, 10:00
...Anyways, on my '01 3500 the puddle from the drain line appears about 12" behind the pass side control arms where it mounts to the frame. I know that's vague, but I haven't specifically looked for it.
JP[/QUOTE]

Thanks, JP. I looked but don't easily see it. I'll need to get it on ramps so I can look around more. I pulled the door sill, lower seat trim and kickplate off, and wet-vac'ed as much water as I could. Pad under carpet was soaked too. Luckily, it was just in the passenger footwell. I run a dehumidifier in my garage all summer to keep my tools from rusting so I moved it to the truck, closed everything up and will let it run overnight (at least) to dry things. That's first priority. Then I'll search for the blocked drain. If that doesn't appear to be the obvious problem, then maybe I'll visit the stealer.
Charlie

Roy W
07-05-2006, 11:06
On my '05 its on the passenger side firewall, just about in line with the fuel filter. In fact if you pull out the right side inner fender panel, it will be staring you right in the face. Mine is a molded rubber hose, about 2 inches long, and it's pointed horizontally, not straight up and down.

YZF1R
07-05-2006, 17:18
I noticed mine was pointed horizontally too a couple years ago. I thought it was an assembly boo-boo and turned it down. Maybe I should put it back. There must be a reason for it. I can't remember, which way was it pointed? Towards the inside or outside of the truck?

Thanks,
Steve

Vivayo
07-05-2006, 18:30
On the firewall, between the A/C receiver-drier and an unpainted aluminum heat shield. It's a hard plastic nipple about 1" long, 1/2" ID with a 90 degree rubber elbow. I pulled the elbow and ran the pointed end of a nylon cable tie wrap into it. About a cup of water dumped out. I need to get a small bottle brush and clean it better. I also pulled the hard plastic panel that's on the forward (sloped) part of the passenger footwell. It was oozing water. Turns out, it has a foam pad under it that was sopping wet. Looks like it'll take a couple of days to dry things with the dehumidifier running. Thanks to all who gave me pointers.
Charlie
P.S. Steve, mine was pointing at about 8 o'clock (towards the outside). I put it back with the same orientation.

YZF1R
07-07-2006, 03:51
Thanks Vivayo.

Steve