PDA

View Full Version : My '01 DMax finally can breathe!

kburati
07-05-2006, 10:27
Five years of SES and less than optimal power (the latter I did not realize until last week since my truck prior to 2001 was a 5.0L gasser) due to the sufficated 2001 Air Box and 3 different local dealers failing to correct it over 8 visits.

My 5 Year warranty finally ended so I took matters into my own hands and did the Kennedy Air Box mods and I can't believe the power my truck has. I like the sound of the Turbo now as well. Took it for a couple hundred mile trip this past weekend and not a single SES light? Hope that holds true once I load up the camper on a 90 degree weekend. Every dealer I went to simply reset the indicator, two of them replaced the Turbo Sensor. I even brought in the actual TSB for the '01 AirBox and they refused to believe that was the issue. Now that the engine can breathe I'm wondering what else it's got in it? At only 65k miles it's got a lot of life left and I don't have to worry about voiding my warranty anymore.

It's a little louder but that's fine by me.

More Power
07-06-2006, 19:51
Glad your truck is running up to expectations for you.

I too, have an early 2001 LB7, and I run it with the factory airbox - no airbox mods, except for a Uni-Foam air filter element. I have not had the problems you and others I've read about have had concerning a lack of airflow.

We produced a product review a couple years ago for AFE, installing their Stage II (http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/afe.htm) system, which required a run on the dyno both before and after to chart the change in power, comparing it to the factory air intake system. At least in my truck, the AFE did produce a few more HP, but not the sort of dramatic change indicated by your (and other owners) experience.

I wonder if something else might be going on, like a blocked airflow path in the fender.

Jim

Kennedy
07-07-2006, 07:51
Exhaust will also help. I've seen it time and time again where the 2001 truck gets an Edge box, sucks the filter minder in, and sets SES lights. Some do it with stock programming. Letting it breathe really helps. I'd also recommend the programming updates that go with the box mods.