PDA

View Full Version : Towing 9000 pounds with intercooler

jspringator
07-05-2006, 12:58
On a trip to the lake towing my 9,000 pound trailer, the intercooler held together and I finally got to see how it tows. Temps were in the low 90's. The EGT's maxed around 700 degrees measured post turbo. Never got even close to the yellow. I adjusted the fooler to max out at 12lbs. Grades were in excess of those permitted on the interstate, and it held them pretty well. A few shifts to third were required. On a couple of such downshifts, the coolant gage started to creep up. The highest it got, and then only for a brief period, was 2 marks above 210. That is the only concern I have in towing this weight. It is interesting to me that the coolant gage only went up when in third at higher RPM's. I would have thought the extra RPM's would keep things cool. I guess this is because of the 12lbs of boost. Everything else performed pretty well. Any suggestions for the coolant temps? I wish I had converted to the old style (bolt on) water pump when I replaced it so I could use Kennedy's fan.

ronniejoe
07-05-2006, 13:10
Water pumps aren't that expensive and they're not that hard to change. I recommend changing the pump to the 98 style and installing Kennedy's clutch.

By the way, you probably don't see the egt picture as clearly as you should because your thermocouple is post turbo. Pulling hard in third produces higher egts and causes the coolant temp to rise. Where was your boost reading at the high rpms in third. I'll wager it wasn't 12 psi... Probably more like 7 or 8...

I also recommend moving the thermocouple to a location pre-turbo.

The intercooler really makes a difference, doesn't it!;)

jspringator
07-05-2006, 16:07
RJ, I got it in third pretty quick to keep the speed above 50 as long as possible so the transmission would stay locked. I was boosting around 12, if memory serves. One time I had to back off a little bit so as not to exceed 12lbs. It seems like I have a $300 repair every month on this thing. If it gives me 3 months repair free, I will reward it with a new pump and fan! Its in the shop right now with a leaking hydroboost unit. I was just going to let it leak, but I was afraid the oil everywhere would make detection of other leaks more difficult.

jspringator
07-05-2006, 19:34
I just remembered my new Kennedy purchased 195 degree RobertShaw thermostats sitting in my garage! I suspect the PO replaced the stats, but I don't know whats in there. The RobertShaws may help!

ronniejoe
07-05-2006, 20:08
I run 180's in mine now.

If there is anything in there other than the Delco's or Robert Shaws, that could make a considerable difference.

autocrosser
07-07-2006, 19:05
I tow a 8500lb boat with a non I/C 96 that has exhaust, boost increased and computer reprogramed. The fan clutch has also been tweeked to come on at around 200 deg. It's rare that it gets over the 200 mark in 95 deg weather and the Exhaust temp stays around 900. Going up Black Mountain near Ashville, NC with my 26' camper will make it talk a little if I don't slow down.