PDA

View Full Version : HELP !!!! 6.5 wont start or run

bigjim
01-05-2006, 06:17
here what happened !

i was driven down I-75 on cruise (about 73 mph)
the engine started black smoking,i pulled off and the engine started reving up on its own. i pulled into a fuel station and the engine started white smoking a still reving up on its own. i was low on fuel, but i filled up and check engine.

i found fuel leaking around fuel filter housing,i replaced filter and tried to start. still wouldn't start. i had a road service come and look at,they said that fuel was leaking from fuel line going to pump. i pulled intake and found fuel line wasn't leaking. looke like it was leaking from bottom of fuel filter or possible fuel injection pump.
(truck will not start on wd40 or either)

i loosen injector lines when i was starting,no fuel was coming out of lines.

i think i lost prime or possible bad pump ???

THANKS JIM

5.7L oldsdiesel
01-05-2006, 12:32
Your going to have to get rid of all those possible fuel leaks before condemning any component.Fix the leaks,bleed the fuel filter and then you can loosen a couple of injector line fittings to expel further air.Any codes before the engine ran poorly?

markrinker
01-05-2006, 13:03
Put the ether away. You'll don't want a bent connecting rod next.

Is your frame mounted inline lift pump (under the driver's door) functioning?

I had a similar problem recently. Bad lift pump, and a rusted fuel line between the lift pump and the tank. Your lift pump should click away with the engine cranking. If not - its may be bad, or your oil pressure sensor that powers the lift pump might be bad.

moondoggie
01-06-2006, 09:15
Good Day!

[i]

bigjim
01-07-2006, 05:25
i'm sorry

1996 k3500 crew cab dulley 4x4 (5 speed)

jcrouse.com
01-09-2006, 14:18
A little off from the first topic - but someone mentioned a non-functional lift pump and a rusted fuel line. Did this by any chance put rust particles in your fuel?

I can open my Water In Fuel valve (the T valve on the front of the engine) and pump the fuel into a soda bottle or something and I can see floaties in my diesel - looks like rust, had some magnetic properties.

My truck is going tomorrow for a possible PMD or a new IP - depending on what the folks tell me - having all kinds of stall and hard restart / no restart problems. Codes 33, 35, and 78. :(

Curious to find out where these particles are coming from.

Barry Nave
01-11-2006, 13:33
i replaced filter and tried to start. still wouldn't

Just wondering if all is well ;)
After filter change,I would think you did bleed the filter housing of air.
Had a problem once with the reving of the Eng. With the first start,was very cold the Eng. would smoke black and rattle bad also. Once warmed the truck would run fine though at a stop the truck wanted to take off on it's own. Several time's at idle the Eng. raced bad past red line. Shut down came very Quick. Scared the He$$ out of me both times. Problem came down to the crank sencer. Replaced all's OK
Ever been at a stop and your truck wanted to take off on is on :eek: