PDA

View Full Version : Cruise control flakiness...

Mark Rinker
07-08-2006, 07:33
I have experienced short periods of inoperation with my cruise control on at least two of three Dmax trucks. Very infrequent, usually notice it after a fuel stop after pulling back onto the interstate. Its as if the fuse is blown for the circuit; no cruise indicator on the dash, no response when switch is cycled ON/OFF and button repeatedly pressed.

After a few minutes of futzing with other things like TOW/HAUL, my brake controller, and anything else that I think may be related, it starts to work again.

Anyone else experienced this?

Swamp Rabbit
07-08-2006, 15:04
My 2002 GMC 2500 HD ocassionally will not engage or re-engage the cruise control while driving.

In the 4 years I have driven the truck, I have never figured out what caused the loss of the ability to activate the cruise control, however an immediate solution is to hit the brake pedal, then it will work as if nothing was wrong. The same procedure also works on my 2000 GMC 2500.

JD_Diesel
07-08-2006, 17:14
My 05 has done the same thing a few times. I would pull over and shut the truck off. Some times that would work and some times not. But what I have fingered out is it is in the brake switch control or that area where when you hit the brakes the cruse would shut down. But a quick rap of the brake peddle disingauges a switch down there and works fine.The not working thing seems to always happen after a fuel stop. That seems to be when it happens to me all the time. Just my 3 cents................. JD

jsmiracle
07-08-2006, 17:49
Ditto on JD's post. I had the same problem before and traced it back to my electric brake controller. Hope this helps the search.....

Jim M.

Driveshaft
07-09-2006, 17:24
I have had an '01 for 5 years in Oct. My cruise control has ALWAYS not worked when I start up, back out, and drive to the end of driveway and keep going out into highway. No matter if it is hot or cold. But, if I stop at the end of the driveway (driveway is approx. 1000' long) and let tranny go back to 1st gear, then no problems with cruise. I discovered this by continually stopping and then starting off and cruise would work so I tried making sure tranny would go back to 1st (or physically shifting to reverse or park) and it worked. Go figure.

Modified
07-24-2006, 18:35
The problem is most likely the Stop Lamp Switch, (switch mounted to brake peddle under dash).
One of the normally closed switch contacts opens when brakes are applied, and this disables the Cruise Control. When you release the brake peddle, this contact returns to the normally closed position, and allows the Cruise Control to be "set" again. On my "02", this contact is between the Brown and Purple wires.
Cycling the brake peddle may temporarily cure this problem, but the real fix may be to replace the Stop Lamp Switch. Not sure if the switch is adjustable.
Reference 2002 Helms, p. 8-863.