PDA

View Full Version : Rear Diff Blowin Lube out of Vent

DA BIG ONE
07-08-2006, 23:45
Need to know if lube is too thick would it blow out of rear differential at speed?

The rear a 14 bolt ff was low a few weeks ago so I had put a heavy lube in. The vent/hose is clear.

john8662
07-09-2006, 14:39
What weight did you put in there?

Is this differential stock otherwise, same G80 limited slip, etc?

I seem to remember you having problems of this nature with the front differential, but it was due to airlocker, etc.

Check your pinion seal as well, it may seem that the vent is blowing lube out, when in fact it may be lube being slung on the bottom of the chassis by the pinion making it look like it's the vent.

Gotta figure out why it was low :eek:

DA BIG ONE
07-09-2006, 19:05
What weight did you put in there?

Is this differential stock otherwise, same G80 limited slip, etc?

I seem to remember you having problems of this nature with the front differential, but it was due to airlocker, etc.

Check your pinion seal as well, it may seem that the vent is blowing lube out, when in fact it may be lube being slung on the bottom of the chassis by the pinion making it look like it's the vent.

Gotta figure out why it was low :eek:

85/140 dyno mixed w/synthetic, gonna drain the whole thing, replace the pinion seal and refill with fresh synthetic of the proper weight.

Yep, G-80 limited slip.

That front diff was a nightmare because of design defect in locker which acted like a pump at speed, they made good on it for parts while I ate the labor, fluids, etc.

john8662
07-09-2006, 20:35
So, it is the pinion seal leaking then?

DA BIG ONE
07-10-2006, 03:03
So, it is the pinion seal leaking then?

After cleaning the diff the only place oil reappears is at the pinion seal area which is under what appears to be a slinger.