PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Leak

DA BIG ONE
07-09-2006, 00:20
Just noticed that a cooling line is seeping coolant, it looks like a press in type of connection, I'm guessing "o" ring too. Is this a sign that I should replace all the "o" rings in cooling system, or?

Patrick m.
07-09-2006, 05:27
that sounds like the heater hose "quick connect". some people suggest replacing with a nipple, and using hose and a clamp to secure.

john8662
07-09-2006, 14:34
that sounds like the heater hose "quick connect". some people suggest replacing with a nipple, and using hose and a clamp to secure.

Do this!

J

byte
07-30-2007, 18:30
OK... in the process of doing the heater hoses as well... the factory 3/4 was almost worn through from turbo heat sheild...

when I try to make the bends with normal heater hose ( the large 3/4 line that goes up to the thermo housing to a steel/brass fitting) I get a nasty kink in the hose just in front of the heater core... I have the inner fender out anyways and the exhaust is not in the way...

i am wonder in I can find a bent rubber heater hose and just use the bent part...

or maybe high temp silicon heater hose would make the corner better...

i thought of using a 3/4 brass elbow... but I guess I will also need the same type of setup for the 5/8 hose as well... and I am not sure I can find a brass 5/8 90 degree nipple... also this brass elbow may pick up heat from the turbo (but it is water cooled)...

any ideas or pictures would be a help! :confused:

Thanks

DmaxMaverick
07-30-2007, 20:03
For those kinky bends with straight hose, use CPVC (gray electrical PVC conduit), and slip the hose through it. The sizes can be had very close to hose OD, and use a little sillycone spray to help. The radii are a bit more than pipe bends, and the PVC will insulate the hose, rather than absorb engine compartment heat and melt/burn/cook the hose like copper or iron will. If too much heat is in the area, the PVC will give up long before the hose does (with visual indicators), and prevent another inconvenient situation.

Or, you can use a spring in the bend (on the outside) to keep it open, but the CPVC has worked better for me.

byte
07-30-2007, 21:21
For those kinky bends with straight hose, use CPVC (gray electrical PVC conduit), and slip the hose through it. The sizes can be had very close to hose OD, and use a little sillycone spray to help.

great idea (CPVC) I had not thought of... thanks... that really helped alot :)

byte
07-31-2007, 09:53
hi there... I was trying to route the big heater hose along the same path as the original hose followed with no luck... but now I am looking at bringing both hoses out the same way as the small 5/8 hose runs(toward the fender) and the bends are looking better allready... then i will run the 3/4 hose across the front of engine to the thermo housing... like on a GAS motor ***opps... i hope i don't get booted from the forum for using the "G" word!!! :D

DmaxMaverick
07-31-2007, 11:33
No problem using the G word. It does do well as a solvent to clean parts on your D word, so it's allowed.